Yamaha Needs Remanufactured Engine

spartan_kyle

Recruit
I have a 2001 Yamaha XL 700 that I want to purchase a remanufactured motor for it.. Trying to figure out the best option for me.. I have read alot of bad things about SBT motors so Im looking at other options.. There is a company in New York (pwc engine) any one have any adivce about this company or any other?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yamaha Needs Remanufactured Engine

I,d go with SBT. You read about a few problems with their engines, but if it's going to fail you usually know it in the first few weeks, and they stand behind their warranty. Other companies like PWC Engines have just as many complaints and are a much smaller operation.

denlou

Seaman

X2 for going with SBT.
I have one of their motors in my ski, going on 4 years with no problems.

You have to understand that they have no power over how the motor is installed and how it's broken in or wether the original problem (lean running carbs ?) has been taken care of.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I've heard good and bad about SBT motors. My cousin received a bad reman engine 1100 cc two stroke, but they replaced it. Too bad he had to pay 2x for labor to put it. He had $3200 in a really nice boat--until this unexpected problem came up. Now, it's nice, however.

My cousin would have been better served by finding a first class PWC shop, like Dunnivants in Birmingham, and had his old motor rebuilt locally. I would suggest anyone with a PWC to find a local independent PWC shop to use after warranty is out.

I went ahead and bought a new 4 stroke Yamaha VX Waverunner last year. Although my SeaDoo is a 1990 machine (and running good), the two stokes just won't hold up like one of the modern fuel injected 4 strokes.

After trying to muscle my machine on a nice Triton aluminum trailer, I realized the new watercraft are 800-1000 lbs--and too big to roll around the yard with a nose wheel. A dock mounted watercraft lift is $1100--and a electric lift is $2000. I'm finishing my boathouse addition this week at a cost of only $450--not including the ACE winch I already had.