Teach me about my jet boat, please.

emoney

Commander
So I recently traded for a '96 Sugar Sand Mirage SS with the Merc 120 Jet in it. I know nothing about these boats and I've got an issue I need to handle. You'll see a thread I recently started about "barnacle removal" and that's led me to think long and hard about dropping the "plate" on the bottom of the hull. It's obviously just held on with bolts, but my question is;
Is it all right for me to just unscrew the screws and take the thing down? Is there a gasket that I need to purchase for re-installation?
I mainly want to take it down because of all the debris, etc. from the barnacles and other sea creatures that have crusted all over it. The boat was neglected, obviously, as I've just ordered a new steering cable because the salt water toasted the one that was in it. I was able to get the clam shell free, because she wouldn't even think about shifting when I got it.
Any tips for what you think I should do would be marvelous. I'll try to get pics up tomorrow, since it's so late tonight, but any help in advance will credit to an "I owe you one" account:D

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Teach me about my jet boat, please.

Taking the intake grate off is pretty easy...I used a manual impact driver to get the screws/bolts loose. I just put them back in the first time and when I pulled out of the water 1/2 of them had backed out (and bent from water force)...after that I used locktite and I check them for snugness from time to time. Also bought a few extra to throw in the 'spare part bin' in the boat! Stainless of course.

If you take the Ride plate off, you'll prolly want to get a new gasket. You may be able to use the old one...I did with no problem. For what you're talking about you should only need to remove the intake grate.

emoney

Commander
Re: Teach me about my jet boat, please.

Without sounding too, too ignorant, what exactly is the ride plate and what's it's purpose? And, thanks for the info about the intake grate. I thought it looked pretty simple, but never try and turn a screw unless I know for sure what's coming off with it.