Yamaha Waverunner Engine Failures

aroger8a

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1998 Yamaha Waverunner that had a replaced engine. I've seen several of these units (1998 - 2003) with replaced engines. The prior owner wasn't sure what caused the original engine to go out but I've talked to a few people about what is causing the problems. Some tell me to remove the oil tank and manually mix oil/gas; other people say to leave it alone because it's better for the engine.

I'm not sure if anyone can shed light on the engine problems with these units. My ski has only 2 hours on the new engine and I'd like to prevent future problems.

Thanks,

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yamaha Waverunner Engine Failures

My neighbor has a 1998 XL 1200 with a new engine put in by the PO with a receipt for $2100. The PO said he put in Mercury Quicksilver oil bought at a marina on the lake and the motor burned up later that day. He told my neighbor to only use Yamaha oils. Another site said the manual calls for Yamaha lube or any TC-W3 rated oil. What do others with the 1200 use?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

The most common failure point on Yamaha two-stroke engines is having an oil line come loose rather than the whole injector system failing. Some of the 1200 and 800 engines had power valve failures with the power valve actually dropping down into the cylinder and causing damage. And then a poorly adjusted a carburetor or air leak causing a lean run could be another failure point.

I would bet that the power valve issue has been addressed on the rebuilt engine. If you keep the oil injector, keep an eye on the lines.

On Yamaha engines that still have the catalytic converter, you should run only Yamaha oil. Other oils will damage it causing possible trouble. Many owners highly recommend removing the catalytic converter and putting in a "D" plate and chip to fool the sensor, since it is only a matter of time before it fails anyhow.

Bowlinjosh

Recruit

I have a 1993 waverunner it has spark knew gas and oil startor engages and knew battery and it ran 5 days ago why will it not crank all the way over