PWC Speeds

juarrero

Recruit
Re: PWC Speeds

hello my friend. I owe a 2005 rxt 3 seater seadoo. they go around 63 miles from factory. i wanted to go faster so any of the newer models dont leave me behind. know my goes 74 mph. these do not mean i go that fast all the time. now i let newer models behind. i cruise around 30 to 40 mph but when is choppy maybe 15 to 25 mph. i have a 4 person inflatable which i used all the time with my kids. no problems at all. Im very happy with my seadoo and i really never had a problem with it. you can also jump wave as far you can imagine. I dont do it all the time but if I see young people doing it specialy with wave runners i go and show them. I always flushand use a lot of crc 626 all over the engine and electrical parts and i pay special attention to the supercharger. stay away from seadoo from 2006 as their bolts are not stainles steel. only that year. well i hope this will help you to make a decision. my kids call my rxt bad boy.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Use a GPS

Use a GPS

For those of you interested in the top speeds of PWCs, make sure that you compare "apples to apples." PWC speedometers are notoriously inaccurate giving you a false sense of top speed capability. They don't call them "dreamometers" for nothing!

Make sure that you use a GPS for any readings! Never go by a PWC's speedometer.

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 2006 Seadoo GTI SE... 130 HP with the 4-tec 1492cc 4 stroke engine... I think 2006 was the first year the 4-tec engine was used all models... Its fuel efficient, and has a closed loop cooling system ( I think this is an important feature! - it keeps crud out of the cooling system and water jacket). It can pull 1 (fat) slalom skier up no problem. It pulls a 2 or 3 person tube fine, will run 56 mph with 1 person 52mph with 2(gps). Running it hard - top speed runs, pulling skiers or tube I get 3 hours out of a 14 gallons of fuel.

iiazzii

Cadet

For 7 grand IMO I would look for a used Kawasaki ultra 250 or 260x. Wholeshot is one of the quickest out there and top speed gps'd out of the box is a true 70mph ski. The seadoo supercharged 255 skis are just as quick and fast but when it comes down to hull design in small chop or rough condition nothing compares. It doesn't chime walk like the yami and seadoo...it has a deep v that IMO is the best handling ski in all conditions, and let's face it, unless you live on a lake, it's rare for the water to be sheet of glass. Just my 2 cents. I don't mean to offend anyone just my opinion. I personally would stay away from most 2 strokes especially if gas is going to be pretty much all ethanol.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I've had personal watercraft since 1984--starting with a Kawasaki Jet Ski 550 standup, a 1990 SeaDoo 570 cc 2 man, a 1996 SeaDoo XP and now a 2010 Waverunner VX Cruiser. My 21 year old SeaDoo still runs like new, and refuses to die.

After talking to all brand dealerships and reading BoatTest.com, I decided that the Yamaha VX 4 stroke is the most durable and inexpensive PWC on the market to buy (starting @ $7.8K) and put fuel in. It also outsells every other model PWC (including SeaDoo) by a lot. As was noted in #8 reply, it does run 54 mph--fast enough for just about anyone. Acceleration is just fine--even for a speed demon like me. I went for the Cruiser seat, but the less expensive "blue" hull VX also has good features.

The PWC market has switched from 2 strokes to 4 strokes since their lifespan is much longer and they're much more durable--and also less pollution. And no one's buying any 2 passenger PWC's.

The larger 68 mph PWC's are something that anyone can purchase @ $11K-14K, but few adult owners have the maturity, judgement and driving skills to operate them safely. (I feel the same way about a 1000 cc rice rocket road bikes.) I would hate to think how dangerous any PWC is in the hands of a 14 year old girl. It's putting too much responsibility in the hands of the unworthy.

You have a great Yamaha/SeaDoo dealership in Lawrenceville @ Jet Thrust Performance--just east of the Hwy 316/Hwy 120 exit on Maltbie St. Atlanta's got about a zillion boats and PWC's listed in BoatTrader.com and EBayMotors.Com.

I was looking to buy a slightly used (20-50 hr.) PWC last year, but they're still pulling good prices used. EBay bidding was just a hassle, and I had the largest Honda dealer 50 miles away @ LakeHillMotors.com. So, I bought new. A first class aluminum trailer for your ski is worth every penny. I take my ski over to Lake Burton when I'm at my RV in Helen--incredible scenery.

davidonmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class

99 xp 951 will do 60+ MPH or even look at the 02 era gp1200R powervalved tripples... I think there 3 seaters. They will do 60MPH but there not the quickest out of the hole though