PWC Speeds

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just started looking for a PWC. Looking for one that will go 60mph, but speed is not advertised in any PWC advertising materials I can find. What should I look for in terms of engine size/characteristics for a PWC that will go around this speed. (55-65mph is fine; not looking to go faster than that). Thanks.

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: PWC Speeds

I do not know alot about them as we just aquired a 94 Seadoo with the little 500cc and from what I have read about the ones that will do around 60MPH, is if you drive one at topspeed for a hour it is going to cost you 60.00 an hour to run it,more this summer I am sure...I was shocked when I looked at the fuel usage data..I am not a millionaire but the old 94 is still going to use 5 gallons a hour at top speed and the larger ones use upwards 15 Gallons a Hour and thats going to hurt if your concerned about money,that does not include the oil either..If you can afford the fuel there are many to choose from in that speed range.The old 94 SP will do about 40 I suppose and its a 55HP.

I also have read that the newer ones are very overengineered and breakdown alot..Alot more electronics and such on them that do not work well in dry conditions let alone in the water.The old ones are made very simple and easy to work on..Very limited electronics crap on the old ones..

I know this does not help much but just in case you do not have deep pockets be prepared to spend a weekly paycheck to go 60MPH all day for the weekend and it may effect your decision in which one to buy..Go to the Seadoo forum and theres alot of good advice on there about machines to buy and the reliability of them...Bruce

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I'm not looking to go WOT all the time, but looking for one that will pack a little thrill when I want it.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. I'm not looking to go WOT all the time, but looking for one that will pack a little thrill when I want it.

Trust me...anything over 45 on something that small is a thrill.....60 mph is ludicrous speed (Space Balls reference)...but they'll go that fast. Just remember the water gets mighty hard over 40mph if you should be thrown off. Cracks ribs, knocks the wind out of ya.

Do you want a 2 or 3 seater? Do you want one setup for towing skiers? What you get depends on what you want to use it for. The new Sea Doo's Rotax 4-Tech is a 4 stroke 215 hp motor. 0-50 times are less than 3 seconds for the RXP-X-255

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was looking over on the Seadoo forum and theres seems to many who think the later 90s era GTX was the one of the best and reliable seadoos out there,that of course comes from guys who like seadoos but maybe do some looking at one of those model...

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm looking for a three seater with a setup for towing skiers. (Actually, for towing a single person tube).

1980Coronado

Based on my limited experience with PWC's....just being around others who have them....the three seater setup for towing a tube isn't going to be the speed demon you want it to be. It seems to me that the two seater sport models are the ones setup to do the 60 mph you're looking for...Have you talked to a dealer or sales person about what you want? That's where I would start.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can give you some info on Yamaha models:

Yamaha's VX is their entry level ski, and it is 3 person. You can tow with it, but it is a little unstable due to the hull design while towing, so OK for small kid towing, but I wouldn't recommend it for towing more than 1 adult. You can ride 2 adults on it plus a small kid, but I would not recommend putting 3 adults on one. The ride is a little bouncy, but not bad, and you do get wet in the chop. Top speed is around 54 mph, and this ski has the best fuel economy of any ski on the market on regular fuel (one reason all the rental places use it). It is also the most reliable ski on the market....just about bullet proof (the second reason all the rental places use it).

Yamaha's FX HO models are nice large 3 seaters that will tow a tube with no problems. I've easily towed 2 adults on mine with a large (Big Mable) tube. The pre-2009 model FX HOs have a 1100 cc engine (160 HP) and will do right at 60 mph (mine does 61 on the gps). They are also very easy on the fuel compared to other skis and you run regular 87 octane, versus premium fuel required in some of the SeaDoo and Honda models. The 1100 cc engine is also extremely reliable, and I would say the pre-2009 FX HO is probably the best choice for a used family ski out there. The ride is very stable (you have to work to turn one over). This ski will plow through rough water, but keep you dry. The newer FX HOs have an 1800 cc engine and will do around 64 mph, but are slightly worse on fuel, even though all Yamaha's run on 87 octane.

Yamaha just came out with a new model ski this year (VXR and VXS) which has the same new 1800 cc engine and will do around 68 mph stock on a normally aspirated engine. This is more of a sport type ski with a less stable hull design (similar to the VX hull) than the FX models, so I would not recommend it for a family ski.

Yamaha also has the FXR/FXS and SHO models that carry the same 1800 cc engine with the addition of a supercharger. The FXR/FXS is primarily a sport/racing model, and the SHO is a high speed cruiser. They will also run around 66-68 mph, but are both real gas hogs, so I would not recommend either model, just because of the fuel consumption.

Hope this helps!

1980Coronado

I know one thing.....they keep making these things faster all the time.....hard to believe they're putting over 200 hp in these little rockets.

sdride

Seaman

A 96 to 2001 Seadoo GTX would fit the bill and be pretty cheap. They are not as big as the newer models but they run 50+ without an issue. The 96 had a 787 motor with 110hp and 97 up ran a 951 motor with 130hp. All of the older ones are two stroke.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been around PWCs since I bought my first new ski back in 1994; the Yamaha WaveRaider. It was the fastest production ski back in the day with a magazine tested top speed (radar) of 55mph. Last summer, I got 54.7mph on GPS. The Raider is a two seater with a 701cc engine rated at 80hp and only weighs 387 pounds dry. The fuel burn at WOT is 9.9gph. Yes, its expensive to go fast but it is absolutely exhilarating ;).

My other ski is a 1997 Yamaha GP1200, two seater, that I got from my brother about 3 yrs ago. My wife usually rides it as it is more stable, heavier and has a lot more power and is just easier for less experienced riders at top speed. However, all that extra power (130hp, I think) doesn't necessarily translate into a lot more top speed. She'll kill me on acceleration but my small Raider is only about 2-3 mph slower on the top end and burns about 40% less fuel. The GP weighs over 500 pounds if I'm not mistaken.

Check the specs on the newer skis. They're powerful but very, very heavy! Some are weighing well over 900 pounds :eek: ! Just buy a boat :rolleyes: !

Never trust anyone who gives you a speed specification if it came from the ski's speedometer. They're not called "dreamometers" for nothing. Like I said about my GP1200, much of the extra power isn't translating into tons of extra top end speed. Its pretty much only the most powerful muscle skis that can reach the upper, upper 60's (stock). Lots of the mid powered skis are so large and heavy that my lowly 80hp Raider can keep up with them.

I'm constantly on the craigslist lookout for another ski to add to my stable. I'm looking at speed because I like to go fast. Did I mention that it's exhilarating? My first choice is a Kawasaki Ultra 150 (easy low to mid 60's) or possibly a SeaDoo XP Limited (low 60's.)

Always keep in mind maintenance issues with skis. Yamaha seems to be very, very reliable. I'm a DIYer and am very mechanically inclined. However, if you're "wrench challenged", then this aspect takes on even more importance.

Click on these links for SeaDoo info: http://www.seadoosource.com/seadoomodelreference.html

My favorite: http://www.seadoosource.com/fueleconomy.html

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class

The actual fastest production jet ski was the 1999 Kawasaki Ultra 150 (65 mph stock) and is the reason the Coast Guard created the Gentlman's agreement. This agreement stated that new "out of the box" jet skis should not exceed 65 mph, this is where the after market parts get you to the 70+ mph speeds. Pretty much any jet ski made after 1995 or 96 would get you to 50 to 55 mph. The Coast Guard also regulated the jet skis which you could legally pull some one had to have the yellow sticker that stated 3 person jet ski. This means, one driver, one spotter and room for the person being pulled. You cannot have three people on your jet ski and still pull someone.

Hiya Bayaya

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 2000 sea doo 2 seater GSX RFI, 800 cc 110 HP and will do 105 km, this little thing flies. I have had it since new and never a problem .I would recomend a 2 seater as they are not as heavy as a 3 seater and manuver better, also consider fuel injected, less fuel consumption.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0

Repostyle

Cadet

I don't know enough about other brands to tell you where to start looking, but I think it was hinted on before but weight is a major issue in how fast you can go. I weigh about 155lbs and my dad is about 250, my seadoo will do about 45 mph with me on it at full throttle and only about 35 with my dad on it. Mine has a 2 stroke 720 in it. The ski itself weighs over 800lbs without a rider and it's a two seater. It's got plenty of smiles per miles speed. Also as stated before, 60 mph on basically just seat is a heck-of-a-lot faster than 60 mph in your car or boat. Good luck on your search, just remember, you can always upgrade the exhaust/carb etc to get more power.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Best (2 seater) bang for your buck IMO is a 1996 SeaDoo XP. You can pick them up for $1500 or less, they are rock solid reliable, and will run upper 50's all day long on just a couple tanks of fuel. This was one of the last "simple" ski's, and one of the first true High Output ski's at the same time. These ski's when modified still win races due to the power to weight ratio, upgradability, and easy to work on design. They are easy to spot because they are the only older style XP hull (no seat suspension) that was ALL yellow...seat, deck, hull, hood, bar pad, everything.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Best (2 seater) bang for your buck IMO is a 1996 SeaDoo XP.

I've got a '96 XP, but surprisingly, that isn't my favorite. I've also got a '97 GSX non-limited. Its almost identical to the XP, identical engine/drive, but the hull is about an inch wider and 2 inches longer. The GSX is faster in all but perfect conditions, just because the hull keeps it in the water far better than the XP. Get some chop under the XP and it spends more time airborne than tossing water out the back.

(GSX limited of that timeframe is an entirely different beast. Larger, different hull, 3 seater, and the 951 engine vs the 787. Also substantially slower.)

skibrain

I've spent a fair amount of time with a friends '96 XP. Fun to ride. I've slalomed and barefoot behind it. Pulled tubes.
While the wake is very small and foamy, I wouldn't call it great for watersports. Pretty tippy when stopped or at low speed maneuvering around riders. I found it to be tough to keep speed steady at the ideal tubing speed around 20 mph. It liked to go 0 mph or about 30 mph +.

juarrero

Recruit

hello my friend. I owe a 2005 rxt 3 seater seadoo. they go around 63 miles from factory. i wanted to go faster so any of the newer models dont leave me behind. know my goes 74 mph. these do not mean i go that fast all the time. now i let newer models behind. i cruise around 30 to 40 mph but when is choppy maybe 15 to 25 mph. i have a 4 person inflatable which i used all the time with my kids. no problems at all. Im very happy with my seadoo and i really never had a problem with it. you can also jump wave as far you can imagine. I dont do it all the time but if I see young people doing it specialy with wave runners i go and show them. I always flushand use a lot of crc 626 all over the engine and electrical parts and i pay special attention to the supercharger. stay away from seadoo from 2006 as their bolts are not stainles steel. only that year. well i hope this will help you to make a decision. my kids call my rxt bad boy.