jet ski-snowmobile compatible motors?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
hi all....im new to jet fleas.

sorry if this is a repost or a well trodden subject.

(i went back 5 months....and the search engine was no help)

after looking at jet ski motors...i am convinced that these are skidoo motors.

are they compatible short blocks?......

what changes to the short block has been done to make them into jet ski motors?

can any one give me a link to a thread discussing this?

the parts are thunderously expencive.....and skidoo motors are cheap here.

any one know?....

cheers
oops

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: jet ski-snowmobile compatible motors?

first of all, every brand of pwc is different. seadoo is the only one that has ANY similarity between snowmobile and pwc engines. Even then, the PWC engines tend to be built up a little more. The life of a pwc engine tends to be quite a bit harder than a snowmobile. (A good estimator is the gallons of fuel/hour you burn. My seadoo 787's can suck through 6-10 gallons per hour without trying too hard. I'd have a hard time using that much fuel in my two 600cc snowmobiles combined!)

as far as prices, you are looking in the wrong places! I can get a sbt seadoo 787 for $850. I spent close to that rebuilding my arctic cat 600cc engine this summer, i WISH i could have found a new AC engine for that cost! In reality there are FAR more pwc's out there on a global scale than snowmobiles, so engines/parts tend to be cheaper. (yeah, up in BC it might be a little different, not sure how affordable sbt is with shipping to canada.)

(also, 'jet fleas' is a derogatory term, a fair number of people are going to stop reading your post at that sentence...)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

first of all, every brand of pwc is different. seadoo is the only one that has ANY similarity between snowmobile and pwc engines. Even then, the PWC engines tend to be built up a little more. The life of a pwc engine tends to be quite a bit harder than a snowmobile. (A good estimator is the gallons of fuel/hour you burn. My seadoo 787's can suck through 6-10 gallons per hour without trying too hard. I'd have a hard time using that much fuel in my two 600cc snowmobiles combined!)

as far as prices, you are looking in the wrong places! I can get a sbt seadoo 787 for $850. I spent close to that rebuilding my arctic cat 600cc engine this summer, i WISH i could have found a new AC engine for that cost! In reality there are FAR more pwc's out there on a global scale than snowmobiles, so engines/parts tend to be cheaper. (yeah, up in BC it might be a little different, not sure how affordable sbt is with shipping to canada.)

(also, 'jet fleas' is a derogatory term, a fair number of people are going to stop reading your post at that sentence...)

thanks for the info....sea doo is one that i was thinking of....but the polaris triple is another....looked really familiar as well as the yamaha..

in canada we are looking at 3500 for a new jet ski motor.
if we are really lucky....they can be found used at 1100.
ill check into the shipping up here.....but they are scary coin.

sorry about the jet flea thing...it is an industry term here, like blow boat for sail craft and rag hanger for the captain.
and yes....there are industry terms for the power boat people as well :eek::D

cheers
oops

sasto

Captain

and yes....there are industry terms for the power boat people as well :eek::D

cheers
oops

yup oops......I'm a stink pot and dinosaur burner :)

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm sure you could shoehorn a snowmobile motor into a PWC, but why?

you'll spend more time and energy adapting the motor for use in a PWC.

are snowmobile engines air or water cooled?