Merc Flywheel Puller for Sport Jet 120, INFO!

profade

Cadet
If anyone is having problems getting the flywheel off a Sport Jet then use the puller that Mercury sells or the ones on ebay ($30 bucks) that screw into the center of the flywheel. I tried using one with the three bolts (8mm btw) and those pulled the threads out. I put Heli-Coils back in the holes and it ripped those out also (time waster). Trust me I tried heat, cold, whacking it, everything. I went to a boat dealer in town and they let me borrow theirs, got home and two minutes later with using my 1/2 impact and it was off! If you are lucky then yours will pop off real easy, if not then this if the way to go, spend a few bucks and save the frustration.

Upon inspection the magnets were broke loose from the flywheel, there was magnet dust and little pieces all over. I bought a random mercury flywheel cheap and knocked out a couple magnets with a hammer and thin screwdriver to replace my broken ones. They were a perfect match.

I glued them all back into place evenly spaced with some epoxy and sealed them around the edges with black silicone, I took scotchbrite to the inside of the flywheel and backs of magnets prior to gluing. Now these are on better then from factory. I think Mercury actually glued these magnets over paint, after years of some rusting and the paint peals away from the flywheel and there goes the magnets! I cleaned and painted mine after the magnets were glued back in, just don't paint the inside magnet or center hole for the shaft.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Merc Flywheel Puller for Sport Jet 120, INFO!

the secret to pulling the flywheel is using the 3 bolt puller tighten it as much as you can then hit the main bolt on the puller that is against the crank . hey pop right off . Nice fix advice if you used the proper epoxy it should work . The danger with doing this is if one of the magnets is off you will never figure out what is wrong with the ignition when it is the flywheel. This is why there are no flywheel magnet kits for sale .

profade

Cadet
Re: Merc Flywheel Puller for Sport Jet 120, INFO!

The magnets are the outer ones on the flywheel for the stator, there was no trick to getting them evenly spaced, I just used a bolt between each while gluing. I don't know much about epoxy, they all look the same to me other than color and minor variations in initial set time, all require a full 24 hours for full cure, I am sure JB weld would have worked but its a little thicker. I used the 3200 psi kind that is yellow from Loctite. I will let you know long term if it comes apart again but no problems so far.

I tried using the three bolt puller when I was initially tearing this apart and did hit the center bolt hard and it never came loose, hitting it is what actually pulled the threads out of the flywheel (twice). That's why I mentioned the other puller if still having problems, I did not know they could be purchased so cheap that is why I posted this for everyone.