Sport Jet mounting

twu928

Recruit
My ride plate mounting flange is flush with the bottom of the boat. However about an 1" inside the plate, it has a 1/2" drop down all the way
around it. Shouldn't this drop down be flush with the bottom of the boat???? 94 Sea Rayder Sport jet 90, 35 MPH WOT with 1/4 tank of fuel and just me at 5200 feet of elevation. Are all sport jet drives mounted the same??? There are three different thickness seals for the jet pump to hull mounting flange.(called grommets in the parts breakdown) I'm surprised that it has probably been like this from new. I hope it does not have the thinnest one in there right now. I'm thinking that it is much better to have it slightly high and not protruding out at all, rather than sticking out, and causing drag. If anyone else has encountered this, I hope to hear from them. THANKS.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Sport Jet mounting

The ride plate on these acts as a stabilizer for the boat at speed . The Reflexx that I own has a 2" hump in front of the drive to stabilize the boat at speed. You can "tune" the hull with spacers to get it more to your liking but 36 to 38 mph is all you are going to get out of a 90 , most are in the 34 to 36 mph . And I might add these numbers are for a perfectly tuned boat with good compression .

twu928

Recruit

Thanks for the excellent reply. It makes complete sense to me. I guess the best way to get more speed with these on the water is to run with the wind when it is blowing like 60 MPH.:D:D

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The jet drive efficiency flat out sucks , Improving it is the only way to get more speed , I am going to overhaul mine this winter and try a few mods to see if I can get 45 mph out of the 90 hp setup .