2000 Waverunner XL1200 problem

mayniac1980

Recruit
I have a 2000 Waverunner XL1200 limited.

I bought it used about 2 years ago. When I got it, it had a bad cavitation problem. It basically would start to launch, but then would just spin/rev engine without accelerating any more. Much like a clutch slipping in a car. If I zig zagged back and forth, eventually it would hook and run fine. I had it up to 48mph each time with no problems.

I took it to a reputable repair shop in the area. He told me there is a replacement plastic liner, and the liner was flexing. He recommended a new liner and also a new impeller. We went with a SS impeller. I took out the ski after it was repaired, and the cavitation problem was solved. However, the ski now will only top out at 41mph. I can get to 41mph at about half throttle pulling the trigger all the way will let the engine rev higher, but will actually drop the speed to 40mph. Just curious to see what someone thinks the problem might be. Maybe the wrong impeller?

The ski is mostly stock, however I removed the catalytic converter, and installed the cat sensor chip.

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 Waverunner XL1200 problem

it could definitely be the wrong pitched impeller was put in.

contact the shop and ask what installed. It should also be stamped into the hub, but that can be hard to see while installed.

blackgun6109

Cadet
Re: 2000 Waverunner XL1200 problem

did u put a d plate back in place of the converter? Have u ran a compression check on the engine? Let me know and ill help u figure it out.