SportJet 90 Maintenance Tips

PM9

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,

Calling on all SJ 90 experts...in the upcoming days, the boating season will come to an end (at least for us Canadians) and I'd like to know what are the essentials for closing the boat for it's long winter sleep. Do's and dont's would be very helpful and much appreciated.

While we're at it, what also need's to be done come opening season next spring...

Hopefully this thread will help all SJ 90 owners out there.

Best regards,
Pat

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: SportJet 90 Maintenance Tips

pretty easy, the engine itself is self draining. Take out the plugs, take out the ignition fuse, and turn it over while spraying some fogging oil in. Then shoot a little down the spark plug holes and button it back up.

as far as the drive, I'd change stator oil, and check the gearcase oil. If it looks like new yet, run another year.

khusson1

Seaman

sounds straight forward enough to me. So use the fogging oil in the spark plug holes?? I was more concerned with the little bit of wate left inside the cooling chambers, because mine, too will be sitting outside, covered, of course, all winter long.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

the engines are no different than an outboard, completely self draining. (even more so than an outboard, you can't exactly tilt it up to keep water from draining!) watch out for the bilge pump hoses, those will sometimes hold water depending on routing...

yep, down the spark plug holes. I'll usually spin it over a little bit after spraying down the holes IF ignition is disconnected. (never, ever spin over an engine without either disconnecting the ignition or grounding it out.)

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice

Don't forget to stabilize your fuel tank to keep water buildup, I used some seafoam but they do make others.

I also took off the float bowls and drained them from the gas that was left over.

I took the water hose off the pump drive, but nothing came out so I think I'm good there.

Take out the battery, and make sure you charge it at least once a month and make sure you don't leave it anywhere it could freeze up.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Take out the battery, and make sure you charge it at least once a month and make sure you don't leave it anywhere it could freeze up.

A charged battery won't freeze, I leave mine in the jetski outside, -40 isn't unheard of where I'm at. Just have to make sure it stays charged though, can't emphasize that part enough. It absolutely should be disconnected from the boat electrical system at all times!