SJ90 Problem

khusson1

Seaman
I did a lot of work to my boat lately. Yesterday I changed the main drive lube. Took out the vent screw.... nothing came out. Took out the fill screw, lube came out. Some of it was milky so apparently theres water in there. Figured it might be from the fill/vent plug o rings, so I replaced them. I woke up this morning to find this:
2010-10-02_10-52-21_770.jpg

Gear lube, around idk, 2 teaspoons or so worth, in the bilge area.

where is it coming from?

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: SJ90 Problem

The only way I can see (looking through the diagrams) would be from the O-ring for the pinion gear.

khusson1

Seaman

That would be ok! As long as its nothing serious lol. Whats another.few $$ after $1500 lol

khusson1

Seaman

Anyone else with any experience or suggestions. What about the seal on the impellar shaft?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

you can get a pressure tester to see if the case/seals hold pressure, not sure what the max is, but it would tell you where it was leaking at least...

an internal leak like that is unusual to say the least! are you absolutely 100% sure that didn't get spilled by accident?

khusson1

Seaman

are you absolutely 100% sure that didn't get spilled by accident?

I mean, yeah, dude, like 100% sure!!! After all, how do you spill oil on the inside of the boat when you are filling through the fill hole underneath the boat???!!!

So you got the gears turning a little bit and I do remember filling up the oil bladder for the oil injection system. Of course I was right there while I was filling it up and I know I didnt spill anything. Then I started cleaning up all the tools and putting stuff away..... including the gallon of oil that I keep stashed in the compartment to the right of the motor :redface: Embarrassed to say the least.... I run out quick and sure enough theres oil all over everything in that compartment! HAHAHAAH apparently either I didnt put the cap on right or it got knocked loose when I threw it in there!

Thanks for getting the gears turning. Sometimes all it takes is a different perspective on things for them all to make sense! Im SOOOOO relieved that I dont have to rip it all apart and replace seals and stuff! Im hittin the water this week! Thanks!

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry I did not get back to you on this one , 14 hr days at work and python eggs hatching have killed all my time . Glad to see you found your leak :rolleyes:

khusson1

Seaman

Im so glad i found the" leak" too. Lol. I havent had a chance to get her out yet. Wifey left for vegas thursday night so it wont be this weekend. I really hope she comes back because itll be hard to lug both these kids out with me :) ill have to tie em to the seat lol

khusson1

Seaman

Got a chance to get the SJ out last sunday. Had a problem setting the timing while cranking@ wide open throttle. Apparently theres a safety device in the ciruitry that doesnt allow it. Unhooked the throttle cable and moved the tower shaft to wide open and still no crank. So my buddy got his first lesson driving the boat@ full throttle on a windy day with me hangin off the back with a timing light in one hand a screwdriver in the other and my third hand was holdin on :) we got the timing set though hahaha.

The set screw has bi directional threads so it was all jacked up and outta sync. But we figured it out. Then i played with the carbs a little and got.them figured out. Boy it sure runs different than it used to :) im def a happy boater!

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To set timing at wot on a non running motor you must first disconnect the throttle linkage at the timing tower shaft, pull the plugs and ground spark then crank with the throttle control for the boat in idle position and move the timing tower shaft to wot by hand.
Now that you know how to do it do you have a video of you timing the boat at speed on the water that you can post ?? :D

khusson1

Seaman

Hahahh i wish i did hav a video of that. Maybe ill do it again :) anybody advance the timing on these things just a little? Results?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

set it to 30 degrees btdc , and leave it there I have heard of 34 degrees melting pistons , I run mine at 29 deg btdc .

khusson1

Seaman

So, using the method u described above, i can do it out of the water? Do i need to hook up the flush kit to crank it?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

nope , just be sure the plugs are out and spark is grounded !

khusson1

Seaman

ok, so help me out here. What is the easiest way to ground all 3 plugs?

Also. Now that I replaced the stator, and voltage reg, what other tests do I need to do? Switch box? Trigger? If any, leeme know. Im gonna try to get it out in the water again and use the GPS to find the true speed of it. When I set the timing, it was really choppy, so Im trying to catch a day when its smooth as silk!

Also, What are the implications of having one of the foam exhaust deflectors missing? I noticed one was missing but because its foam, I didnt think much of it and put it all back together. Left side is missing

khusson1

Seaman

Ok. Help me out here. All three plugs out and what is the easiest way to ground all three of them?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I ground mine using bolts that fit in the spark plug boots , have a wire harness with 3 loop connectors tightened to the bottom end of the threads locked down by a nut , and then run that wire to ground . Redneck as can be but it works .