Sport Jet 90 Fuel Pump rebuild - Electric conversion

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was getting pulse/intermittent spitting out of the fuel line last week after running great all weekend 2 weeks ago, so I rebuilt the fuel pump...still only getting pulses when I took it out Saturday. Called around and found another rebuild kit and rebuilt the pump a second time. Same thing. Am I missing something? I rebuilt it last year and it worked great. Used the putty knife to hold the spring down, blew threw the check valves to make sure they were sealing. Replaced the fuel lines...the dealer said the double walled fuel lines on it were not the latest alcohol resistant type so they need to be replaced. Is the diaphragm material up to par for the current alcohol content?

I thought about converting to an electric fuel pump (marine/ignition protected) that is rated at 2-3.5 p.s.i. but came up with a few considerations:
1. If it's wired to the key switch (only run when key is 'on') then the mechanical oil injector isn't running when the fuel pump primes the system...so I'm thinking a fuel pump switch so you can crank (turning the oil injector) then hit the fuel pump.
2. Block off/plug the oil injector and just premix the tank.

Has anyone done this? Are there any other considerations for a conversion?

Brian
www.calledinsick.com