Wave raider high rpms but no speed

Si Rey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought a 94 Waveraider with the 701cc engine. I took it out to the lake for the first time yesterday. It trolls fine, but if I give it gas it accelerates to about 5 mph as the rpms increase, but when the rpms get to say 3000 the jetski doesn't accelerate any more and the rpms continue to increase. It would be loke as if it were cavitating or the clutch slipping in a car. Because I just bought it I have no previous performance history. The lake I went to for a test run has a lot of weeds. I went underneath to the intake screen and found some weeds on the intake side. Could this be the culprit of my woes?Soooooooooooooo?

Last edited:

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Wave raider high rpms but no speed

definitely sounds like your problem - doesn't take much weeds in the intake grate to cut off the water supply to the pump.

but - since you're down there any way - go ahead and do a visual inspection of the impeller from the grate side and from the exit nozzle to check its condition.

Si Rey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I removed all the weeds from the intake side as well as the nozzle side. I checked the impeller for damage and clearance. The book has a max tol of .024 which is well within my limits. I reinstalled the grate and sealing the one are with silicone as recommended in the book. I'll go to another lake tomorrow and see what happens.

Si Rey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well went to another weed free lake today as all ran fine. Guess it doesn't take muck weed to choke a Yamaha Ha HA HA

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm glad to hear that your ski is running right. I've owned my Raider since it was brand new in 1994 and it runs like a champ. 54.7mph on GPS earlier this summer on absolutely perfect water.