94 WR III Carb Rebuild Issues

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I narrowed down my issues with my WRIII and the last thing left to freshen up is the carb. Before I ordered a new rebuild kit, I decided to open it up and just check out how the parts looked. Most of the parts looked almost brand new, but the fuel regulator pump was cracked...and below that, the two screws seemed stripped as in the phillips head is almost rounded out.

I replaced the diaphragm and plan to reinstall the carb and see if that fixes my top end issues, but at some point I will have to open the plate that covers up the high end jets (I think that is what's under the plate)

See photos.

So the question: Does anyone have any bright idea as to how to remove the screws without drilling them out which seems dangerous to me...

-Rob

Attachments

• Mobile Photo Sep 8, 2010 3 09 00 PM.jpg
    Mobile Photo Sep 8, 2010 3 09 00 PM.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Mobile Photo Sep 8, 2010 3 09 25 PM.jpg
    Mobile Photo Sep 8, 2010 3 09 25 PM.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 94 WR III Carb Rebuild Issues

I'd try a manual impact driver (twist and tap with a hammer) or an EasyOut. I picket up both at Sears.

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

unless you removed them - you're also missing the spring, needle valve, arm and screw that holds them all in.

to remove the other 2 screws, you need an "impact screwdriver"

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html

or a GOOD screw extractor:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10...crew+extractor&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=L1

you can try drilling them out, but I don't recommend it unless you are comfortable with that.

either one of the above should get the screws out easily. DO NOT use an extractor like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-screw-extractor-set-40349.html

you're asking for more problems if you do.

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I removed the needle and seat and spring assembly.

Thanks for the advice. I have drilled bolts out numerous times but I was hoping to think of a better way since I do not know what is underneath or how deep the screws go.

rogerwa

Commander

Mine looked exactly the same and I said a few choice words when each of the heads stripped. I punted and paid the guy $20 at the local shop to loosen them. he used some penetrating oil and the impact driver and they came right out.

I went to the hardware store and picked up some stainless machine screws that fit perfect.

You definitley need to get them out and access what is underneath..

raveng60

Cadet

i'm looking to rebuilt my carbs soon also. what kind of issues were you having?

my seadoo seems to cut for a few seconds at wide open trottle but then comes back? i allready replaced the fuel filter and the strainer inside the fuel tank.

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My top end was essentially dead. Every once in a while it would get up to top speed but it would bog down and lose power past half throttle. I ordered the rebuild kit so hopefully I can make it down to the beach soon to rebuild the carb and see how it runss....