too much water

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice
How much water is too much, I have a 120 sport jet that i have hooked up to garden hose, done it many times. Started it today and have water coming out of the bottom two cylinders. Did I do these with too much water coming through?

Now what do I do, have to tear it down or just try to get the water out someway?

Please anybody help me out.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: too much water

Having read your prior posts it sounds like you were using the flush kit properly , you most likely have a bad exhaust manifold gasket as both water and exhaust exit the boat via the exhaust manifold, When the gasket fails between the exhaust chamber and the water jacket water will get in the motor. No need to rebuild the motor just be sure all the water is out when you repair it. I would start by replacing the exhaust gasket and just to be safe also replace the head gasket. these are both very easy repairs and should take about 2 hours to do .

This could also be the cause of your "mystery" no start on the water as they will flow more water through the engine when in water vs. on the hose.

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice

I am totally confused:confused:

Why is it that I put water in from a little hose verus a lake and it drowns it?

I have just rebuilt this thing again after it has done this before, it looked to me like it was an exhaust gasket the last time so I replaced both gaskets went through and tore everything down and rebuild it for the second time.

Is the exaust gasket the problem, it looks to me very thin in some areas. Is there any better gasket out there, to keep this from happened?

Next question why would it run with water in it? I had it out last week-end and would run fine, no evidence of water in it. Just had a hard tme starting.

So Kend you say I don't need to tear it down, so how do you get all the water out of the cylinders, carbs, ect. if you don't tear it down.

I am just using a hose adapter, not a flush kit, maybe that might be the problem? I just don't know.

I sure want to get to the bottom of this I was looking forward in taking this out this week-end.

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice

Doesn't anybody else have this problem?

Please let me know what to do? I have water in my cylinders prob. not good but don't know how to get it all out unless I tear this down.

Don't want to start over again, but what else do you do?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Replace the exhaust manifold gasket and head gasket , be sure both surfaces are clean and not pitted for a good seal . You need to use the flush adapter in the hose that goes to the Jet drive for engine cooling , NO PRESSURE just flow , house water pressure will blow a gasket .

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice

So how about the water inside the engine, don't need to worry about that?

Do you have a part number for this flush adapter, my manual says not to run the boat with a certain type.

I can't understand how a little pressure like a hose can blow this gasket, probably because I don't quite understand the function of the water system.

what does the t-stat do, does the water enter at the top of the head and exit at the bottom or is it the reverse.

Last of all the exaust gasket I used from a parts jobber doesn't look like the type you would put on a exaust, it is paper with a wax coating.

Is it good to put gasket sealer or something like copper coat on the head/ exaust gaskets?

Thanks

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice

Question to anybody that understands this motor?

How is it a little bit of water blows a gasket when they are designed to be ran under water pressure in the lake?

Where does it usually blow that gasket at? And which one goes, is it the head or exaust?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My boat runs , do you want yours to ?????

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice

My boat ran good also 2 weeks ago, I am not questioning the repairs just trying to figure out how this thing works, so I can understand what happened.

I am just waiting for gaskets so I can put this together again.

If you are here to help, please respond to the previous questions, such as gasket sealer on the heads? what water flush kit do I need, what about the water in the engine, ect.

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice

update:

got my head gasket in today and installed, clean the carbs and spark plugs, took awhile but finally fired up with hose on engine, not alot of pressure but enough to keep the engine cool.

set mixture screw the best I could after setting them 1 1/2 turns out, its hard to set mixture screws on a 2 stroke because it smokes anyway from the oil injection....any advice on this would be helpful, because I don't want to run this too rich or too lean.

but I am happy now its running again and headed to the lake for the week-end.:cool:

Thanks for all the help.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Set the screws at 1 1/2 turns and leave them alone unless it has a really poor idle or stalls when you go to accelerate . not worth the time or risk of trying to lean them out , might save you 1 gal of gas per 100 hrs of idle time.

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Kend,

I had a great time finally out at the lake, pulled tubes and wake board.

Seems like it use to be a little faster but its been a few years, I had it up to about 30 mph is that about as fast as this will go now?

Is there anything else you can set to get a little more speed out of these, seems like I've had it around 35 or 40 when it was new and before my wife sunk it :mad:

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice

So I took out the Jet today for the last time this season.

Seemed to run great, still don't know what I can do to get a little more speed out of this thing.

But I think it is time to put it away for the winter, so any advice on the best way to do this would be helpful.

I know that you are suppose to put some type of stabilzer in the gas tank, and spray fogging oil in the carbs.......any thing else before I put her to bed??

Thanks for all the help and advice.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stabil in the gas available at walmart , Fog the carbs , pull the plugs and fog each cylinder , rotate by hand a few turns and put the plugs back in . remember to keep a charge on the battery and to put aside $25.00 per week for next years boating money , makes it much easier come springtime . Keep an eye on this forum as I am going to look into getting more out of the jet drive this winter if time permits .

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info,

What about the fuel in the float bowls, and what about the oil in the drive, should I do anything with these?

Also if any water is left in the engine, there might be a freezing issue because I am going to leave it out in the cold?

Please let me know if I should address any of these issues?

Thanks again

khusson1

Seaman

I too am interested in the winterization process. Specifically the water left in.the engine