sport jet 90

khusson1

Seaman
Have a 95 sport jet 90. My paperwork says the serial number falls in the fist set of numbers (oe112248), but i cant confirm because the tag on the top of the engine is rubbed clean. I appear to have the black strator (umoungst the cluster of wires). It appears to be blue and red wires going to the strator. Can someone send me the testing procedures like the ones for the red strator in the info thread?

Im just going over the boat and trying to check a bunch of things. Im having some carb leaking issues and a speed issue which I believe will be remedied by the replacement of the impellar, ride plate/grate and wear ring.

Thank you

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: sport jet 90

Below are the 2 Yellow, 1 Red and 1 Blue that come off of an ORIGINAL black stator. Depending on the routing, they should be visible in both places with an arrow/circle below.

Here is a quote from Kend301:
Welcome to IBoats , First of all be sure you have a black stator by the wire colors , 2 aftermarket company's make black looking stators , The "real" black stator will have a red and a blue wire coming from it to the switchbox . Test specs for the 90 hp are as follows :
Set OHM meter to R x 1000 scale
Disconnect blue and red wires from switchbox at the bullet connectors.
Ohm Red to Blue wires , should read 3600 to 4200 OHMs
Ohm Red wire to engine ground , Should read 90 - 140 OHMs

Next test the trigger using white/black as ground , individually ohm the Purple , White and Brown all to the white/black wire , Should read 1100-1400 OHMS on each wire . Post up results and we can go from there

sj1Arrows.jpg

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For your speed issue, (besides the carb issue), I'd look under the boat at the ride plate and make sure it is flush with the bottom of the boat and the gasket is in tact. These are often blown off/bent due to starting out of the water.

Also, a common issue seems to be the jet diverter (gate that covers the jet for reverse) doesn't clear the jet nozzle when the shifter is moved to the forward position.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great to see people dive in and help others , nice job calledinsick !! As for the carbs please be very specific where they leak from . as in bowl , main jet , vent tube ect and I can tell you what to check but in any event plan on taking them off and at least pulling the bowls off .

khusson1

Seaman

this is the 3rd time I typed in here to respond and its not letting me, This one will be short.

thank you all for responding.
I have the black strator (confirmed)
Ill test it tomoro

Removed and cleaned carbs and especially vent tubes. Ran a lot better last night.
small leak has slowed since the carb cleaning, ill let u know what I see in the morning

Ride plate, grate and gasket are still there, lol. Grate looks pretty rough. I think the last guy did lot of boating on Rock Lake. He has white caulk around the ride plate where the gasket is. Grate is missing one of the fins and is cracked at the base of another. impellar doesnt look that bad and the clearance to the wear ring(from looks) is close. ill try to get a pic tomoro

khusson1

Seaman

ok, test results are in:

Red to blue strator wires: 2000 scale: 566 Ohms (dont have a 1000 scale)
Red to ground: 200 scale: 29.3 Ohms, 2000 scale: 28 Ohms
(something isnt right)

Trigger:
purple: 1220
white: 1229
Brown: 1190

khusson1

Seaman

looks to me like the leak is coming from the middle carb bowl. Specifically the bolt that holds the bowl on. idk if the gasket there is junk or what? i will post up pics in a moment

khusson1

Seaman

some pics:
first one shows the leakage
2nd one shows the voltage regulator? and wiring. See the discoloration on the front of the VR? Is that from burning it up or no?
last ones are of the ride plate/grate. Nice, huh?

Attachments

• 1282917753813.jpg
    1282917753813.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1282917781768.jpg
    1282917781768.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1282917918455.jpg
    1282917918455.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1282917901602.jpg
    1282917901602.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1282917943673.jpg
    1282917943673.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Red to Blue looks way low as does the red to ground. I'd have to say the stator is bad, you may want Kend to confirm.

You can look at the thread below for steps as I just went through the same initial diagnostic with my Tracker Pro jet. My issue (as seems to be common) is that the failure 'cascaded' through the ignition system resulting in the Stator, Trigger, and the switchbox all being bad.

The picture of your regulator looks bad as well. Not sure if there is a test designed for it specifically.

Hopefully you won't have to replace all the components as I did, but if you do you have a new, more reliable iginition system.

I tried to document the steps with as many pictures as I could as I went through the process...hope it helps!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=418674

khusson1

Seaman

thanks! Ill wait for kend's response. What is the actual purpose of the strator?? and if its bad, why does my boat still start and run? I will admit thaT SOMETIMES IT IS HARD TO START. oops

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The stator generates electrical current for your spark as well as the charging (battery) system. Basically performs the same function as an alternator on your car.

From what I've learned, the electrical windings can perform differently under different conditions. As the windings/wires warm up and cool down, resistance can change causing the voltage/amps to change. They could perform fine at startup, but provide too little or too much volts/amps at any point. Too much could fry your regulator (if it is as it appears to be). This will keep you battery from charging as well.

I'm not sure about the stator/battery relationship on this setup, but in your car, if your alternator goes out your car will still run until the battery runs out of juice. The same goes opposite, once started, your car should run with the battery disconnected if the alternator is good.

khusson1

Seaman

i thought that is what the strator did. I charge my battery after every outing. I go catfishing @ night, so I sit there for hours with the motor off and the lights and live well on, so I just figured that my trip in and out wasnt long enough to charge the battery back up.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OMG , your ride plate and intake are JUNK , also the impeller should be inside the wear ring , the end of the ride plate is blown . you need to start bu pulling the ride plate and post up pics of the impeller , looks like the wear ring is junk too . Also the voltage reg is fried . You have a mess on your hands !! If you can hang in there long enough you can get it sorted out ! does this thing really run ???

khusson1

Seaman

HAHAHA yeah, I figured they were, but it still goes. Ill pull the ride plate and grate once I order them. I figured on getting a new impellar, wear ring, and ride plate. I think im gonna do the stator and voltage regulator first. Wheres the best place to get part numbers on that stuff?

I can def hang in there long enough to get her fixed!!! you guys have been a real asset!

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I must say you are one lucky person , In the pic of the regulator if that is indeed a burn mark on it this boat should be smoking like a fog machine at a KISS concert from an electrical fire . And we already know 12 yr olds will be passing you in jon boats with trolling motors due to the ride plate ! ;)
But on a serious note , I would not run this boat until it is repaired , You are running the risk of an electrical fire and if the impeller / grate breaks the next part to be hit by debris would be the stator for the jet drive ... about $600.00
Glad to see you're gonna hang in there with this boat , that makes you an official member of the "He Man Outboard Haters Sport Jet Club" :D

Post up what kind of boat you have and I will surf a few sites for parts .

khusson1

Seaman

Hey, Kend, the mark on the regulator is behind the clear epoxy stuff. nothing else looks warped or burnt in any way. And, dude, Im tellin you that i know the ride plate looks rough, but when I bought it, the guy took me on a demo ride and we were pushing 25mph. It wont go that high @ WOT now, but I did suck a few rocks into the impellar 2 months ago. It does get up on plane with 2 people in it :)

I also noticed when I took off the aluminum gaurd over the jet nozzle (caulk was garbage, cleaned and recaulked) that the 2 rubber hoses that go into the metal hoses that exit out of the water stream of the jet were pulled out of the metal part. (i know, ****ty description) anyhow, the rubber hoses were just hanging there so I put them back on the metal hose part.

My boat is a 1995 bass tracker pro 18 jet (merc/force 90hp inboard of course). thanks for the help. I want to gget the stator and volt. reg first

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If this is what I'm thinking from your description, those 2 rubber hoses are simply a siphon for your bilge. The hoses should connect into the engine compartment and then down into the bilge on each side of the powerhead/jet housing with small screens on the end of those. These work under the same principle as blowing over a soda straw in water. The passing flow causes a drop in pressure to constantly siphon any water that may come into the bilge.

khusson1

Seaman

They r black and they r joined together, but split @ the end. My bilge pump hoses r grey and they hav the siphon break and the screens on the ends and they run on either side of the motor. These black ones come out the back of the boat and go over 2 metal tubes which exit just behind/inside the jet nozzle. And the bilge pump outlet is up higher on the left side of the stern

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agreed, the bilge siphon hoses are grey, but they should connect through the drive housing to the nozzle. Take a look at this schematic at parts 51/52. If this is the part you're talking about, the flow of the water past these tubes is what creates the suction for the grey tubes inside the bilge. If not, maybe this schematic will help us identify:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=809468&ivar=images/SPORTJET/809468/37.png&inbr=2008&bnbr=160&bdesc=NOZZLE%2FRUDDER+COMPONENTS+%28SPLINED+DRIVE%29

Brian
www.calledinsick.com

khusson1

Seaman

Yep, that looks like the part :) thanks for the explaination, too. I like to know how it all works, not just that it works