Sportjet 90 - lost spark

My_Jet90

Cadet
Re: Sportjet 90 - lost spark

I had just moved the green wires (swapped) from #1 to #2 on that prior post.

OK, now I swapped coil #1 with Coil #2. I still have no spark on #1 but OK on #2 and #3.

Green to #1 (still)
Green/white to #2
Green/red to #3

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Something is really strange here , Did you have spark on all 3 cyls when you replaced the switchbox ? If so then retrace all the work you did to put it back together and look for a pinched or loose wire . Also is the ground for the #1 coil good ? Is the plug and plug wire good ? if all that checks out unplug the rev limiter black/yellow wire at the rev limiter and retest for spark.

My_Jet90

Cadet

I thought I did but maybe I was watching #2 or #3 at that time. I have the black.yellow wire disconnected for all of these recent tests. Also now testing all three plug at the same time.

Grounds are all goood. I tried original cdi box and all cylinders dead. Back to new cdi box and still #2 and #3 spark. The Green wire won't fire coil.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hate to say this but re ohm the trigger , stator . Move the coil from number 1 to number 2 with the plug wires , does the miss follow it ? if so swap the plug wires only back and see if 1 is now without spark .

My_Jet90

Cadet

Well I have to say I am not happy with CDI electronics at all. :mad:
*Today Aug 27th one week after they have had my return*

I returned by SPANKING BRAND NEW bad CDI box which is dead on #1 cylinder. I bought this NEW from JMS Online and yet had to return the defective part to CDI Electronics. I paid for shipping, insurance and tracking on the return. They got it week ago (on Friday 8/20/2010) and told me it is usually a week turn around. So today I called and asked for an update.

My returned part was defective and they have out out of stock. They are on backorder and can't tell me when they will ship. Could be a week, don't know.

This is totally bogus for the manufacture to be out of stock and sending me defective parts in the first place.

Totally disgusted with CDI and JMS Online.:mad::mad::mad:

I'll post when I finally get my new part and get the boat running.

**Update Aug 30th Monday**
I sent an email to both CDI and JSM and got a pretty quick reply from CDI. They have this item in the production run and should be able to ship one out on Monday. He was nice and asked if their was anything they could do....(come and fix my boat and give me some spare parts, lol.).

**Update Sept 6th Monday**
Back from BIR Racing weekend and still no parts delivered. I will be calling/emailing them again on Monday to see why the hold up and why they are not able to ship me a a replacment part from one of their other dealers (JMS Online - original VAR had them in stock but I had to return to CDI manufactur for defective check).

**Final post**
Installed new replacement CDI box. Still no spark on #1 so I swapped it with #2 and problem followed the coil. Replaced with a new coil and now have spark all 3 cylinders! Hope to water test this week.

Thanks for all of your input and guidance.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad to see that CDI is doing what they can , you need to understand that this engine is a "dead" engine and merc will have no parts for them when they run out of stock . Most aftermarket manufactures run on supply and demand , 2-3 days for a " dead " ignition system is not bad at all , Want to feel better ? Today we had a 2010 car with 2000 miles on it that needed a valve body and none in the country , 10-15 business days to the US .. She paid 65k for the car .. got 5 days of rental car approved ....

My_Jet90

Cadet

Installed new replacement CDI box. Still no spark on #1 so I swapped it with #2 and problem followed the coil. Replaced with a new coil and now have spark all 3 cylinders! Hope to water test this week.

Thanks for all of your input and guidance.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad to get it sorted out , enjoy the rest of the season and post up if you need any help

CharlieFoxx

Cadet

I wonder if somebody can tell me how come these switchboxes burn out. What can be done to prevent this?

dieseljames

Recruit

Not a reply but a question if i may? I have a 1995 bayliner reflexx with a force 90 sportjet. anyone know what the correct sparkplug is? i have NGK B7HS in it now. thanks all

Crater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not a reply but a question if i may? I have a 1995 bayliner reflexx with a force 90 sportjet. Anyone know what the correct sparkplug is? I have ngk b7hs in it now. Thanks all

champion L76V **(or)**
champion qL76V