90 hp sportjet Blown ride plate leaking...

Fed250

Cadet
I have a 1995 Sea Rayder f-14. The mechanic that was working on my boat blew my ride plate off, I am ordering a new rubber seal to set this in but the plate itself still looks in good condition. My issue is that after he sneezed it off some sort of oil or lubricant leaked out. I have so idea what fluids run through the bottom area were the ride plate is. It is not gas nor is it the normal 2 stroke oil. Anyone have a clue on what it might be that leaked out? It was clear to yellowish in color and did not have a strong odor but smelled like cooking oil. I see a plug that says fill on the ride plate so I assume that there are fluids that run there.
After looking for quite a bit I saw some posts talking about stator lube. Would this be it? Is there any other fluids that run through or around the ride plate area? If it is stator lube what would i need to replace to get it sealed and refilled?

darrenz

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 90 hp sportjet Blown ride plate leaking...

a hose connects to fitting on ride plate. after back together you unscrew plug into plate and fill with jet pump lube(or gear oil)the hose runs upto your impeller housing so you just have to squeeze and squeeze bottle till wont take no more than remove and cap

Fed250

Cadet

Awesome thanks a million. Is there anything else that could have been damaged by the ride plate getting blown off?

darrenz

Seaman Apprentice

if there is no fiberglass damage and you can put screws where they need to be, i dont think so. there are many postings on here about running these motors out of water. my friend just bent frnt of his plate running out of water

Daley

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just subscribed to this thread, cuz I've had a couple backfires and am looking for similar direction. I did notice on one occasion last year that the boat had no power, even though it revved fine - seemed like it was cavitating pretty bad. I got under it and noticed that the ride-plate was sticking out about 1/4 inch, so I tightened all the screws and called it done - for the rest of the season. This year upon first fire-up, I had my second backfire. Got out on the lake and sure enough - no power, lots of rev. Put it on the trailer, tightened the screws again and put it back in the water. Ran great, for a little bit. Seems I've stripped those screw-holes. Hopefully you're not faced with that as well, but I'm maybe our situations are related enough that any advice would apply to both.

Good Luck!

darrenz

Seaman Apprentice

i dont know a whole lot bout these boats(theres a guy on here "kend" that does)but i believe that damage can only occur running out of water, so prob happened before you noticed. but yes i think that seal is critical for proper propulsion. my friend had bent front of his ride plate, dealer straightened,he took back out and only got about 9mph(seemed like seaweed on grate) he then had taken the grate off himself and couldnt get back on so i just went over and put back on and he just called me and said hes getting 30mph out of when max used to be 38 so maybe i got it sealed better than dealer. so still experimenting. i may have him order new seal and try. put oil on seal before installing, a jack and block of wood is helpful starting front to back.tighten each bolt a little at a time repeating several times. stripped bolts i would say re tap to next size

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A spray bottle of Dawn and water (dish soap and water) does great to help slide the gasket back in.
I've done the same (backfire and blow off/bend ride plate) checking the rev limiter out of water. Took the rideplate and a couple of blocks of wood (ride plate between blocks of wood so you're not directly hitting the plate) and tapped it back into shape. It took a couple of times holding it up under the boat then re-tapping to get the shape just right. Then used the spray bottle to get it to slide in with the seal. Good luck!

Fed250

Cadet

Well all the screws were still in place and not pulled out. I am hoping there is no damage to fiberglass inside but as for the outside there is none and the plate itself only popped out a small bit on the front middle part but not enough to break the ride plate or to strip screws. I don't have the ability to take off the plate and reshape it because the plate rests on the trailer which is also part of the reason I think it still stayed on because it was held in place. I am seriously hoping it can be bent back with no further damage than a torn seal that can be replaced for under $50 bucks. If there is more I will have to look into making this mechanic pay for it because a new plate alone is $300.

Fed250

Cadet
Ahhhh

Ahhhh

I seriously hope it can be bent back without loosing any top speed.

darrenz

Seaman Apprentice

i didnt see my friends when he took to dealer,,,, but that sounds exactly how his was(the screw info was for the other guy) they charged him like 200 to straighten and was only getting 9mph. i reinstalled and is now getting 30 so i think perfect seal is critical. i think im gonna have him order fresh seal.

darrenz

Seaman Apprentice

and you should be able to use a small factory car scissior jack and piece of wood between back of trailer and boat next to plate to lift enough. his the plate sits just inch or two off trailer

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ride plate is critical to performance , The way to do it right is to remove it , Press it with a hydraulic jack back to factory fit and be sure there are no leaks or tears in the gasket and reinstall being sure it is flush . A 1/2 inch gap will cost you over 20 mph ! There is a "homegrown" way to straighten if you want to know post up .

Fed250

Cadet

Yeah that would be great. I will try doing it myself first using your method and if it doesn't work then I guess he worst that will happen is I will have to shell out the $300 to get a new one. I am already going to order a new rubber seal because mine ripped a bit. Thanks a bunch.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You are going to have to find a way to get the plate off , then take 2 pieces of 2x4 that are the length of the rideplate and another piece that is about 8" long. Place the rideplate hull side down on the 2x4's leaving the front and back unsupported . Now place the 8" piece on top of the section need to straighten and and start hammering the wood , gonna take a while , if it is really bend badly , back your tow vehicle up so the hitch is above the 8" piece and put a jack between the wood and the hitch and slowly begin jacking , vehicle weight will do the work for you , NEVER lift the vehicle off the ground while doing this , Put just enough pressure on it to move the plate a little and let it sit for an hour or so and them apply a little more and let it sit , this will enable the metal to retain the shape you want . Gonna take a while but time is free .

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Daley , Pull your ride plate off and check the condition of the threads in the hull , Much cheaper to repair on early failure than to let them pull out and be faced with major hull repair .

Daley

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will do. It's easy enough to do, and it'll give me the opportunity to check other stuff while I'm in there.

Thanks for the advice!

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

post up some pics of the screw holes if you need any help as to the best repair method ... Lots of people on here to help you out :)