No better feeling !!!:):D;)

PM9

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Sport Jet 90 Black to Red Stator Conversion - With Pics

New Stator: $276
New Trigger: $70
New Switchbox: $247
New Coil: $42

Painful sunburn from spending the weekend on the water with a running Sport Jet....PRICELESS!!

Thanks Kend301 for the help, availability, and expertise!

Hi CIS,

I just read through your thread (very well done btw) and it's so funny how it seams you and I have a very similar story...already replaced my coils & trigger and it unfortunately, looks like the next order is for a switchbox and red stator conversion kit.

Would you happen to still have the name of the place you purchased that red stator conversion kit (with adapter)?

Thanks,
Pat

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! Tried to document as much as I could for others going through the same pain!

My local Mercury dealer had the red stator kit (adapter included) in stock. Unfortunately, the only other item they had in stock was 1 coil! So as I went through my replacements they came from another source. My local dealer was "The Fishin' Hole" in St. Louis. The other parts source was boats.net.

There are tests for the Stator and switchbox (Ohm, Bias test, DVA)...sounds like you're replacing parts...I hope you're testing what you can before replacing, if not, post up a new thread and someone/everyone will jump in and help! I only base this deduction off my experience of the normal starting point being the stator.

PM9

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info...

Regarding the tests, I've been very well guided by Kend301 (see my thread) and he actually is the one that confirmed the next steps.

Thanks again,
Pat

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good deal, just wanted to make sure we were systematically approaching this!

I'll check out the thread too...

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is one of the best pic threads for a Sport Jet !! I am going to steal some pics and info and ask a mod to sticky them ( proper credit will be given ) :)

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anything to make it easier on the SportJet Fanatics!

I believe this one was added later if you want to use it for stator identification:
sj1arrows.jpg

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks , will work on it this weekend !

harrisms

Recruit

I want to say a big thank you to all of the contributors in this forum! My 93 Sea Rayder with a Merc Remanufactured Sport Jet 90 has run like a top for the past five years. I did loose the rev limiter last year and have had to clean out the carb vent lines but minor fixes for a well running boat.
This year was a different story. I put the boat in the water on Memorial Day weekend and it wouldn't start. Using this forum, I was able to determine that the stator had gone bad. Worse yet, it was a black stator provided by Merc well after they had discontinued them in favor of the red version. I was able to locate a "spare" red stator and adapter and installed them last week.
Note: while the flywheel and electronics were out, I also replaced all the recirc hoses, fuel lines, carb vent lines, fuel pump diaphram and cleaned out the carbs. All of the recirc hoses had gone soft and started to split. The carb bowls contained quite a bit of fuel line debris.
I put the boat in the water today and it once again runs great. Easily hits 42mph and is as smooth as ever.
Thanks again to everyone for the great advice, pictures and help.

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad it's back on the water!

Spent the last several days in MN on the Upper Mississippi and St. Croix rivers...so nice to go exploring (and catch some pike!)!

My latest (this past trip) encounter was the auto-enrichner going bad (Post 1994 models have the enrichner I believe). Figured it out as fuel was flowing out the front of the bottom carb, floats were ok, cleaned the needle, blew threw the vent lines, then put a clamp on the fuel feed from the top carb to the auto-enrichner...fired right up. Local parts store had a fuel shut off valve I spliced into the enrichner fuel line for now. Leave it swithced on until I start it then shut it. If I fish too long I have to open the valve, but it's better than the $250-300 they want for a new enrichner (and was a 5 minute fix)!

Crater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Calledinsick: We have identical boats 18' SportJet Tracker, strange I have never seen another Tracker sportjet. Anyway couple of questions. #1 whats your average top speed? I've had to do alot of tweeking, including the removal of the foam (waterlogged) from the bottom of the boat. Rebuilt wear ring (JB weld rebuild). New CDI rectifier(complete meltdown). It had a red stator installed when I bought it. rebuilt the fuel pump(due to hard starting), and am now rebuilding/cleaning carbs. The other day I was at WOT and all the sudden I lost rpm's down to like 4k and I think the tach is 1k off on the higher side so really down to 3k rpm. That brought on the carb rebuild. I install a primer bulb also which I think helps with the starting issue. But I have only ever got it up to 30mph by myself going downstream with the wind at my back. Now it (well before the loss of rpms was 20-23ish. On the way in with lost rpms it was 15mph. No missing or sputtering that I could hear just not spinning up like it should. I,ve read about the rev. limiter and will check it after the carb rebuild, any other suggestions? and FYI that clear rectifier/regulator is the same one that melted down(made a mess of the coils):facepalm:

jayson115

Cadet

i know this is a old thread but i was hoping this will reach one of you guys that done this allready ..i have a 94 sportjet with a 90 hp with a black stator does my flywheel need to be changed for this upgrade?? or any other components for that matter ?? thanks

Filthy oar

Recruit

Hello I have a sea rayder 1993 with a sportjet 90. I have spark on 2 cylinders but not on the bottom one. I swapped coil packs with one that I know is good and still no spark, could that be the switch box? I'm sorry to jump in on your thread but I don't know how to start a new one

jonlisa97

Recruit

Great post. I'm a newbie to the sportjets and had a question. I have the red stator and trigger but need the black 16amp adapter. Do you know the part number for it? I have a problem with mine and maybe someone here can answer it. It runs fine up to about 10mph but then it spits and sputters and can't go faster. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hrcho

Recruit

Flywheel replaced, wiring from Stator routed, adapter (black box about the size of a candy bar). It's hard to see but it has the blue wire coming out of it.
sj7.jpg

Dear calledinsick,

I can see that you are the Yoda for 90hp engine electric problems, so please, pretty please help me - I am desperate.
I've already looked at your posts and they are great, very helpfull.

I have a Cyclone 1994 with Mercury sport jet engine, 90hp.
I bought it in Europe, but the engine was missing stator, flywheel, switch box and rev limiter. I bought parts when visiting USA this year.
It looks like I did not receive an adaptor with red stator (please see attached photos).
Do you know if I could buy only this adaptor somewhere (E-bay, etc), and if yes - do you know the catalogue number?
If no, any suggestions how to resolve this issue?

The Mercury service in my country knows less about this kind of engine than me (and I know little :(

Any help and/or suggestion will be greatly appriciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Attachments

• Zagreb-20121108-01434.jpg
    Zagreb-20121108-01434.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Zagreb-20121108-01435.jpg
    Zagreb-20121108-01435.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 5

Tmg230

Recruit
Hey hey, bought a 94 bayliner reflex project boat from a neighbor he was older and said he hadn’t rode it in a while and couldn’t get it started he said he works ok boats and prob needed a stator, trigger and or CDI box. Well i cleaned gas tank replaced battery and spark plugs and she started right up. But i can tell more work needs to be done. The kill switch doesn’t work and when i went back to start it a few days later because i was going to test her out on the water it wouldn’t start. Starting to think i need to replace the parts seller suggested. Any advise?

Attachments

• 4CD1A7A7-8C10-4F48-A0CC-5946830E9033.jpeg
    4CD1A7A7-8C10-4F48-A0CC-5946830E9033.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 7B36A0B9-3227-46B0-BE9E-E75DBF6526B0.jpeg
    7B36A0B9-3227-46B0-BE9E-E75DBF6526B0.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 46FD94ED-087D-447D-A7AF-EC2662257970.jpeg
    46FD94ED-087D-447D-A7AF-EC2662257970.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 33144C78-7467-42F8-9534-8FFCE05CDDC9.jpeg
    33144C78-7467-42F8-9534-8FFCE05CDDC9.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2D819852-24BC-4739-9DF3-D1D0F80675FE.jpeg
    2D819852-24BC-4739-9DF3-D1D0F80675FE.jpeg
    376 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey hey, bought a 94 bayliner reflex project boat from a neighbor he was older and said he hadn’t rode it in a while and couldn’t get it started he said he works ok boats and prob needed a stator, trigger and or CDI box. Well i cleaned gas tank replaced battery and spark plugs and she started right up. But i can tell more work needs to be done. The kill switch doesn’t work and when i went back to start it a few days later because i was going to test her out on the water it wouldn’t start. Starting to think i need to replace the parts seller suggested. Any advise?

Start a new thread of your own instead of hijacking a thread that's been dead for 12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.