96 Yamaha 1100 Triple

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just got a 96 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100 Triple, it has been sitting uncovered for 2 years on a dock. They told me it had some carb problems they thought. I took it out and it fires up seems to run fine and I give it gas and it takes right off then seems to bogg down and I have to let it idle down and give it gas again and the same thing. 17mph was the max I got to before it boggs down. I've noticed that the fuel filter don't seem to have much gas in it, could it be a fuel pump not supplying enough to go that fast? Does anyone know what I need to do, Thanks Dakota

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 96 Yamaha 1100 Triple

Do a compression test, clean carbs & change fuel lines. maybe rebuild fuel pump.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've replaced fuel lines and filter, and running Seafoam in my gas to help clean the carbs. I believe rebuilding the carb's on this machine is above my ability. There are 3 carbs and they have to be synced together and I don't know how to do that. How do I do a compression test?

muskegon man

Recruit

i have the same prob with mine mine is a 95 but i can get 65 out of it befor it bogs down im going to check the flots on it in the morn look and see if your buterflyes are all opening at the same time to and if u fig prob out pls let meknow as i will do the same thing thx

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seafoam does nothing on PWC carbs...they're too small. It sounds like they really need a rebuild using OEM kits and replacing the needles and seats (which don't come in the kits).

If you're interested and are capable of taking off and putting back on the carbs, you can ship them to me to rebuild. I do it as a hobby, use OEM parts, and charge a LOT less than a dealer or a shop.

If you're interested in doing the job yourself...it's not a terrible job...let me know and I can walk you through it as best as I can over the forum.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think I can probably get them off myself I have rebuilt them on dirt bikes. I just don't know about the linkage and how to sync them together. Approx how much would it be if I shipped them to you and had you do the work?

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

$75-100 depending on how nasty the carbs are inside, plus the cost of the kits (approx $50 each for OEM mikunis) and new needles and seats (20-25 each). It would be shipped to zipcode 02481.

If you've done dirtbikes before, you should be able to do these...it's not hard. There's a video I'll find and post for you to take a look at...really helpful. Take a look at that and decide if you can do it from there.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok thank you that would be very helpfull. I just don't know about the syncing. You wouldnt even think it would be time to rebuild these this jet ski only has 259 original hours on it since 96.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's not necessarily the hours but the years...it's 14 years old. Fuel has been sitting in the carbs for 14 years...you've probably gotten more than you should have out of them...lol

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm going to see about getting a compression tester in the morning.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any luck finding that video? Does anyone know about the syncing of the 3 carbs?

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I just took the intake manifold off top of the carbs. The screens (air filter screen) on top of each carb, the first one is silver looks completly new, the next one has a brown spot on it slightly bigger than a quarter, the third is brown. What does this mean? I removed the screens and there is plenty of oil on top around that groove. I pulled the choke and all flaps closed at the same time, working perfectly. I gave it gas and all flaps below opened perfectly. I looked down in the carbs with a flashlight and they look brand new. I know there 14 years old but they look alsome. Bright silver. No fuel stains anywhere. I believe the fuel has probably been ran out the carbs after each use. So I know it's getting plenty of oil but not enough gas. I've noticed the fuel filter never has much gas in it. Could this be a fuel pump issue or does the fuel need to be set on the carbs? Any advice would be appreciated?

JPS6881

Cadet

I just finished putting my 96 1100 back together. Because the butterflies are clean and shiny, it has no bearing on what is going on inside the carburetors. You are at the point where they need to be rebuilt, the diaphragms in mine were brittle and the carbs had a fair amount of gunk.

It is somewhat of a PITA to get the 6 bolts off that hold the carb setup on, a 12mm stubby rachet wrench from Sears will be your best friend. The screws may be heavily corroded on the carbs, you may need an impact driver to get them off to get inside carbs. I ruined some of the screwheads, so I replaced with new, I believe they are 5mm, 80 pitch. (STAINLESS STEEL ONLY) You may want to take pics w/ a digital camera as you proceed if you're a beginner, you will have to disconnect throttle/choke and the fuel pump at the other end. ( I purchased a new pump for about $65) If you're not sure take up Bigdad on his offer.