1997 Sport Jet 175 Wont Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

diverdown87

Recruit
Have a 1997 Sugar Sands Tango with a 175 Sport jet that want start. The problem started on the lake going about 20 mph the boat quit like you pulled the kill switch but it hadn't been pulled. I finally got home checked for not getting fuel the pumps were pumping. Checked for spark didn't see any or was very weak. I tested the stator by the Mercury repair manual could only test ohms because it want start. My findings were that I had no ohms between the red/white wire and blue/white wire. All other ohms measurements were within specs. To me sounds like a bad stator. What I want to know is which circuit are these wires used for the high side or the low side boxes. To me sounds like the low side. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appericated.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1997 Sport Jet 175 Wont Start

Gonna have a chance to do some research today , I will post up in a few hours
175's are pretty dependable and I know 90's and 120's very well I just want to be sure what I tell you applies to the 175.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Please check each stator wire for OHM reading to ground and post results for all wires .

diverdown87

Recruit

First thing is like to say thanks for the help. Here is what I got testing each wire indiviually to ground.

red/white:108
blue/white:eek:pen
red:110
blue:eek:pen
2 yellow wires are open
Black to ground is good

also pulled the flywheel and looks like 2 of the magnets are loose. I have also sent the stator test page out of the repair manual. I put what I got from them test. Notice that the red/white to blue/white wires checked together is open thats why I suspect the stator. Thanks.

Attachments

• Mikes Papers 001.jpg
    Mikes Papers 001.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would agree that the stator is bad . As far as the loose flywheel magnets you can re epoxy them as long as they are not broken . Use some heat from a propane torch to get them off . Be gentle and patient and remember never hit the flywheel with a hammer to try to loosen them .

Status
Not open for further replies.