Regal Rush-Sport Jet 90 questions?? spark and starting out of water

dmball

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Regal Rush-Sport Jet 90 questions?? spark and starting out of water

Thanks, Can you PM me his contact info? I should be getting my new trigger assembly tomarow. Glued magnet should work for a while. Lets hope tomarow I have spark!

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

Oh BTW. How do you guys hold the flywheel while installing and removing it? I was able to get it off but it was being a pain. Any good tricks?

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

Well the dealer got in my trigger assembly today. Except it is part # 817029A 3. It had the ring connectors. I told him I needed the bullet connector one. He said to just cut the ends of and install bullet connectors. So I did and guess what? Still now spark. Im am not happy. Will this trigger work or do I have more bad parts? I knew this trigger wouldnt fix it, never should have bought it.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just to be sure OHM the new trigger , no reason for him to get you an A3 it is old school . Your old trigger was out of spec . These things tend to have related electrical failures when one part goes , Since your flywheel is broken I think moving on to some output tests is next , do you have a DVA meter or DVA adapter for your ohm meter ? Also run a switchbox bias test as outlined below.

Set voltmeter to 20 volts DC
connect red meter lead to good ground
connect black meter lead to White/black at the box
Crank engine , Volts should be between 2 and 10 volts.
Post results .

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

I have a dmm rated at 1000 volts so that should work fine. I tested the trigger before I installed it and all 3 wires were about 1250 ohms so It is good. I will do those test tomarow morning prolly. Im pissed and dont even want to look at it again tonight. Goin out for some drinks! I will post results tomarow.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also, I told the guy with the flywheel to contact you via PM. I know this started page 2 on this thread , be sure to read the last post on page 1.

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

Ok quick question. Are all the IGN system specs going to be the same as my clymer book shows? Because I am checking the stator again and my book only shows the red/blue wire stators and I have the green and white ones.

For the low speed stator resistance checks my book specs are 3600-4200 ohms at disconnected red/blue wires- I am using both green and white wires- Result:6,813ohms

Next step in book for high speed is to go from ground to red wire on stator. Then ground to blue wire on stator. Specs shows it should be 90-140ohms. My test from ground to green white, and ground from white and green shows open circuits.

So are the test results the same between the different stators? If not my stator has to be bad. Note that I am leaving the yellow wires connected. This is how the ground path is provided in the high speed coil checks right?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

YES .. the stator tests are very different , You OHM the red stator Green/white to White/green , should read between 500 and 700 Ohms , you posted 643 0hms so it should be good from an ohm standpoint . Stator output should be 180+ DVA checked on the same wires . Throw the electrical section of that manual away .. it is for stock production boats with the 9 amp stator and the voltage regulator only , not rectifier , You will spend lots of money if you follow it . But I do recommend it due to the fact that it gets you to parts of the boat that you never thought existed . Mechanically good but electrical specs are wrong .

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

Ya that makes sense on the book. Im done with that thing for ignition testing. I dont have an ananlog meter so my dmm readings are jumping around but I have well over 180 output from stator. So for now I will assume the stator is ok. I think I am going to throw a switchbox at it and hope for the best. Is the switch box for serial# oe066811 going to be a part# 18495A12?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes that is the merc part number I run a CDI aftermarket pn 114-4953 , I would run a few more tests and really consider a flywheel as I said . A magnet broken in 2 pieces will change polarity at the break and thus change the output to the magnets next to them . I have always been told if the magnet comes off , fix it , if it is broken throw the flywheel away ... you may want to check on that on other forums as all ignition systems depend on the flywheel doing the right thing ..

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

So it has been a number of days waiting on parts. I did end up ordering a flywheel and switchbox. Hopefully they should both be here tomarow. I am still not certain about if my stator is bad. I have not been able to figure out the correct specs. Do you know the right resistance specs for my stator and how to do an output test? Again its the red stator with the white/green wires.
I hated just ordering parts without being certain the stator is good. But the book lead me to the switchbox being bad. I guess if I replace the switchbox and its not bad it wont hurt to have a backup:) But maybe the flywheel will fix it all. LOL

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To test the stator , you ohm the green/white to white/green (unplugged) and the reading should be between 500 and 700 ohms . the 6813 reading you got is probably due to the setting , the real reading is probably 681.3 on the proper scale. DVA same wires while cranking engine output should be over 180 DVA

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

GREAT DAY! IT RUNS AGAIN!!:)

Big thanks to iboats forum and kend301. I was able to pick up the basics for figuring out my problem and it now runs!

I got home from work today and had the new flywheel and switchbox there. I was not certain the flywheel would fix it. And I did'nt know if I had stator problems.
So I put the flywheel on first and had no spark. Ok, no big deal I decided a new flywheel would be best anyways for peice of mind due to the broken magnets. Dont want to take out the stator if they come part and high rpms.
So next I installed the new switchbox and hit the key for no more than one second and had spark. Decided not the let engine fire at all untill I got to water.
So I loaded it up with 2 hours left before the sun went down. Headed to the nearest lake and backed it in. It took a while before it started. I think the cylinders were filled with oil due to all the cranking during testing at home. After it finally started it smoked like hell but cleaned right up after I got out on the water. Now starts up with a quick turn of the key. I was also able to hit about 38 with about 350lbs in the boat. Not too bad.

Also about the dmm readings for the stator. I relized my meter swiched to the kohms setting auto after 500ohms. I thought it was 1000ohms, thats why I was not sure.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad to see you got her running , Enjoy the season !! :D

Davidmoody

Cadet

I am interested in purchasing a Regal Rush for $500......
Again the same problem,,, probably a blown engine ...
I'm pricing a replacement....
Am I doing a good deed....??????
Has the mercury 90 ....the boat is a four seater ...14'

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am interested in purchasing a Regal Rush for $500......
Again the same problem,,, probably a blown engine ...
I'm pricing a replacement....
Am I doing a good deed....??????
Has the mercury 90 ....the boat is a four seater ...14'

PLEASE start your own thread about this. This is the second old thread you have brought up from the depths and it really is not "the right way" to piggy back or hijack threads that are not your's originally.