2004 FX Cruiser HO -- warning light

Trickhat

Recruit
2004 Yamaha FX Cruiser High Output. The ski starts just fine. It will only run up to about 40mph whereas it usually tops out at 60mph. There is a red warning light on the bottom right side of the dash panel that comes on shortly after starting the ski, remains on and there is also a small engine icon flashing in the bottom of the speedometer screen. Another thing I noted (don't know if it's related) is that the chirping sound made when you activate or deactivate the security is not making any sound, but the security feature does still work. I recently had the oil changed at dealership and also installed a new battery myself. The air filter is dry, i.e. no oil on it. The ski is not in LMode, is not overheating and there is no debris in the intake or impeller. All visible electronic plugs in the engine compartment seem to be intact. The manual suggests there could be an oil pressure issue. Could the dealer have left something unplugged when the oil was changed? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

topcatrich

Recruit
Re: 2004 FX Cruiser HO -- warning light

2004 Yamaha FX Cruiser High Output. The ski starts just fine. It will only run up to about 40mph whereas it usually tops out at 60mph. There is a red warning light on the bottom right side of the dash panel that comes on shortly after starting the ski, remains on and there is also a small engine icon flashing in the bottom of the speedometer screen. Another thing I noted (don't know if it's related) is that the chirping sound made when you activate or deactivate the security is not making any sound, but the security feature does still work. I recently had the oil changed at dealership and also installed a new battery myself. The air filter is dry, i.e. no oil on it. The ski is not in LMode, is not overheating and there is no debris in the intake or impeller. All visible electronic plugs in the engine compartment seem to be intact. The manual suggests there could be an oil pressure issue. Could the dealer have left something unplugged when the oil was changed? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I am having the same problem as this man and already dropped the ski off at a mechanics. He said the diagnostic shows a fault of 24 and 63?? Any help from anyone?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trickhat - Start the ski and hold both buttons on the left side of the display for 8-10 seconds. That will give you an error code. There is nothing to leave off when doing the oil change. Oil is sucked out of the tank through the same hole that you put it in. However, overfilling the oil on that ski is very common. I'd warm the engine and check the oil level (you can only get an accurate reading with the engine hot).

topcatrich - Code #24 is "Cam position sensor malfunction"
Code #63 is "Intake air system malfunction" (this one I've never heard of on this model ski, so I don't know what would cause it).

Both of these codes are rare. I've seen a few of the Cam position sensors go bad, and that is pretty easy to replace. I would insure that the oil level is not overfilled (get the engine good and hot before you check it). Then be sure there are no loose/corroded connections especially to the sensors.

topcatrich

Recruit

Trickhat - Start the ski and hold both buttons on the left side of the display for 8-10 seconds. That will give you an error code. There is nothing to leave off when doing the oil change. Oil is sucked out of the tank through the same hole that you put it in. However, overfilling the oil on that ski is very common. I'd warm the engine and check the oil level (you can only get an accurate reading with the engine hot).

topcatrich - Code #24 is "Cam position sensor malfunction"
Code #63 is "Intake air system malfunction" (this one I've never heard of on this model ski, so I don't know what would cause it).

Both of these codes are rare. I've seen a few of the Cam position sensors go bad, and that is pretty easy to replace. I would insure that the oil level is not overfilled (get the engine good and hot before you check it). Then be sure there are no loose/corroded connections especially to the sensors.

Turns out it was the crankcase sensor that was bad...THANK YOU

boater42

Recruit

Turns out it was the crankcase sensor that was bad...THANK YOU

You say it's a crankcase sensor? I looked at the shop manual and don't see a crankcase sensor. Are you referring to the Cam Position Sensor?

Crankcase does make sense tho. If it were malfunctioning it would make the waverunner think the oil is low or not present. Can you clarify that it was the crankcase sensor and not the Cam Position sensor?

Brandon