90 Yamaha Waverunner Cavitating

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Strong acceleration but "blows out" on rough water VERY easily. Was told it might need impellor and wear plate. Is this very expensive and can I DIY it?
As good as this old bike has been to us (had it since 2000) I fear it's not worth too much money.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 90 Yamaha Waverunner Cavitating

1) Does the impellor and wear ring sound like the correct diagnosis?
2) If replacement needed, is it a difficult fix? ie special tools etc?

Thanks

robk10868

Recruit

See if you can get under boat while it's on a trailer and shine a light into jet tube. Look at backside of prob for ant dings or gouges in prop. These are much more sensitive to nicks in prop than boat as you are trying to create a vacuum in tube for propulsion. Canging prop can be done it driveway, but you will need a prop wrench. I know Sea Doo and Kawasaki have their own "Special" wrenches, so I assume Yamaha does too. Wrenches Should be available at your local dealer, and I'd pick up a Clymer manual for instruction too. There are prop tool on Ebay for $15. while you have the prop out you can check the wear ring for gouges also. Hope this helps, I am a former Jet boat mechanic from Team Butch In Michigan.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for your reply. I will try and inspect prop as you described when I get back to the boat next wkend and also pick up a Clymer manual for it.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

those had aluminum impellers,, I can't believe it lasted this long,, usually 1 season and they are shot,, you will need a new impeller and possibly a new liner section, especially if it was in salt water.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Jeff. Is this project a DIY? (i am pretty mechanically inclined)
Is the ski worth it? ie cost of parts etc. Has never seen salt. Freshwater use only.
Thanks