94' Yamaha Waverunner won't crank????

Status
Not open for further replies.

12guns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Battery is good, main fuse is good. Was running fine, but after stoping, wouldn't start back up. Plenty of oil, no no problems locking up motor. When You hit the start button, all I get is a dull click/buzz noise. It's coming from the fuse box on the inside wall of the waverunner. Any ideas?

jriegle04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 94' Yamaha Waverunner won't crank????

sounds like a starter solenoid.

12guns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm guessing the solenoid is located in the black box attached the inside wall? I know on cars alot of times the solenoid is attached to the starter. This noise is for sure coming from the black box where the fuse is. Come to think of it, it does have batt wires coming out of it, I'll check it out this weekend! Thanks!

12guns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, I pulled the relay out and it's working fine. A friends dad and I bypassed the relay and the starter wouldn't crank. Wire's didn't even arc. Anymore ideas? Appears the relay if fine, I can hear it open and close but nothing to the starter. Batt has full charge, 12.5 volts. Would the problem be the starter? If so, how the heck does it come off? Engine have to be pulled?

12guns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still trying to get this starter issue fixed. Read my last post for more details, but we're 90% sure the starter is bad. We're getting no noise at all other than the "click" from the solonoid in the drybox. So, do I need to pull the engine to get to the starter? Does anyone have a link or a PDF showing a 94' Waverunner III? Thanks for any help, really need to get this done in the next couple weeks.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're getting proper voltage across the solenoid when hitting the start button then it's definitely the starter, unless there is a corroded connection.

The starter is under the exhaust manifold. See the attachement. There are two 10mm bolts you have to get at to get it out. I'm not sure if you can get at it without removing the exhaust. Good luck.

12guns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're getting proper voltage across the solenoid when hitting the start button then it's definitely the starter, unless there is a corroded connection.

The starter is under the exhaust manifold. See the attachement. There are two 10mm bolts you have to get at to get it out. I'm not sure if you can get at it without removing the exhaust. Good luck.

Thanks so much! I didn't see any attachment though...

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wierd...let me try again.

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1

12guns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so much for the pic and the answer to my question. Do you by chance have a pic of the exhaust that needs to be removed? I'm guessing it's the manifold or something on top of the engine, just not sure about the location of it. I have only looked briefly at the starter and engine, I'll be diving in this weekend to get it fixed. Would the starter go out all the sudden or would it start to act up prior to going out? This one started and was running fine until we stopped it last summer. Then nothing. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.