89 kawasaki js550 starting problems

I have an 89 js550 that doesn't ever seem to want to start. Is that just the nature of the beast with these or are there actually reliable js550's out there? It is a recently rebuilt basically stock 550. It had a total teardown 3 years ago when the stator let go and bent my crank. New crank was put in along with new pistons, jetinetics flywheel, all gaskets, cdi and stator. The carb is still stock except for the occasional rebuild. I notice a lot of these machines have the primer?? Is that an important upgrade or a waste of money. And last thing is a factory dry pipe and DG waterbox. When it starts it is awesome, best thing ever, when it starts!! I seem to always be chasing a fuel issue, is my carb junk, rebuilt to many times, or just time to rebuild again? Both cylinders have 125psi, it has great spark only thing left is fuel, right? Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 89 kawasaki js550 starting problems

sounds like it is lean maybe rejet it for the mods you did.

ScottyJ98

Recruit
Re: 89 kawasaki js550 starting problems

What carb do you have on it? If it's a Mikuni bn those are junk, I'd upgrade to a Mikuni SBN. I also installed a primer on mine and it has made it a lot easier to start.