Don't buy a used SeaDoo Jet boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

south texas

Seaman Apprentice
Bought a used one a few months ago and hated it. They're super fast and look cool, but a huge pain to work on. Parts are expensive and difficult to get. Most used ones are pretty beat, so beware... I prefer something that allows moderate access to the motor, etc, without needing to hand upside down - just to check the fuel filters!

Thanks for listening, I feel better now.... :)

RollingWanderer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Don't buy a used SeaDoo Jet boat

Bummer for your problem, but consider it a lesson learned.

One should always consider the cost/availability of parts and ease of service when looking at any old piece of mechanical equipment...applies on nearly everything...boats, planes, cars, motorcycles, tractors, generators, etc...

If you really want some fun go buy a 50's-60's british roadster, then buy a second one to follow behind the first and pick up all the parts that fall off.

-RW

south texas

Seaman Apprentice

I agree completely RW... I knew heading into it that it wouldn't end well.. 2 engines=twice the $$!

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have moved this to the PWC section for a couple of reasons.

1) We generally keep Dockside Chat free of boat or on the water stuff, not always, but it used to be called "Nothing to do with Boats" or something similar.

2) We also keep a close eye on any specific product bashing. I would not really call this bashing, but if there is anything to be gained by this it would be for those interested in PWC info.

3) Although this is not really a maintenance or repair question, there might be something valuable with the fuel filter comments, so Voila, PWC section . . .

Glad you feel better! :)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

there are some benefits though, especially you have worked on seadoo jetski's. They are easy to work on if you have spent time on seadoo jetskis. The engines are dirt cheap, you can get a 787 longblock ready to go for a little over $1000. (not all the seadoo's use the 787's though)

mlmerwin

Recruit
I bought a 2000 SeaDoo Challenger 1800 Bombardier and (knock on wood), so far, so good. The guy I bought it from was a mechanic though, so he took good care of it. A few minor things, but nothing major so far. My issue is finding a mechanic in my area to do the 100 hour maintenance on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.