Searayder F16 120HP questions.

ProbeGT

Seaman
I just bought a SeaRayder F16 with the 120HP sportsjet unit. it's a 1996 one and it has 288hours.

I do know that the engine has been rebuilted because the oil injection system as been cancelled.

I just tried it today (got it today) on very calm water. Boat take off nicely but not super fast. at cruise speed (about 1/2 throttle) 4000RPM, 33-35MPH everything is going very well, but when i want to open it to see its top speed, i can barely go over 37MPH, engine runs 5200RPM.

I was wondering if something was wrong with the turbine, 1200RPM more and 3-4MPH only?

I bought a set of SmartTabs to install on it because I'be been told they were not pretty fast on takeoff.

I've also read on some other forums that people would have installed Solas Impellers and SS wear rings and gain a lot more performance (like 45-48MPH). But i can't find these parts anymore.

the reverse plate doesn't completely clear the turbine nozzle when it's back on foward position, could this be my top speed problem?

Is there anything i can do on these sportsjets (Force/chrysler) units to make them more powerful like special reed valves or something?

A link to some upgrade parts reseller would be very nice. Thx all.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Searayder F16 120HP questions.

adjust the reverse to it won't block your forward thrust,, that is probably the problem,, forget about beefing up that engine,, it is what it is,, and it isn't available, it's long out of production. .

ProbeGT

Seaman

10-4 for not modifying the engine but what about the Solas Impeler and SS wear ring, can I still find those parts somewhere?

I'll try to adjust the reverse tomorrow, I tried the boat today with 1 passenger and I couldn't go over 34MPH, there was some minor waves... I hope it'll fix the problem because it's not very fast for 120HP.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

those engines and pumps are out of production so I have no idea where you can get the parts you are looking for.. it's hard to even find a good repair manual for that boat. maybe check with solas etc.

ProbeGT

Seaman

how the heck can you install smart tabs on these boats?

I tried to find a way to fit my tabs SX on my Sea-ray but there's no way i can fit the actuator properly.

I sent an email to SOLAS sunday to know if they still produce impellers for the SportJet 120HP unit. No answer yet... I found a couple of impellers for the sportjet 90 than asked myself if the impeller is the same on the 120 because i do know they uses the same jet drive but with a different gear ratio.

And now i'm confused because i don't know what impeller to chose with wich picth angle, and how to buy a new wear-ring or make my current wear ring usable with the solas impeller (SS insert? i really don't know much about these)

2 weeks ago i started to gather information on Jetboat14.com but the next day the site closed down:mad::mad::mad::mad: There was a LOT of informations on those sea-ray boats.

Can you send me a picture of your boat with the smart tabs installed? I'd like to see how you did it and if I could do the same on my Searayder.

email is flashxperience@hotmail.com

Thank you.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Yes, same impeller as the 90's. I did the changeover on my 95, it helped SOME. New wear rings are $$$, don't know how much it would be to have a SS insert made, but what you can do is search about how to jbweld the wear ring up, that made a big difference and was cheap.

ProbeGT

Seaman

I mesured the clearance of my turbine tonight and it has .0305in. I think this explain my slow take off and low top speed. I ran the boat a lot today and noticed the engine never force. put it to WOT on a take off and it jumps to 5200-5400RPM like if the turbine does not even put resistance on it.

I talked to my brother's Stepfather tonight and he told me the JBweld (cold soldering) would be a very good way to save my wear ring and it would last quite long.

I think about ordering a Solas impeller and rebuilt my wear ring. But there's 2 Impellers available for the 90HP sportjet, one with less pitch than the other and I don,t know wich one to order, my engine has no modifications and i don,t want to modify it.

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got the F-16 with the 175 Sportjet.
When I was researching these boats I remember reading somewhere about a gasket around the intake grate that caused a similar problem. Just can't remember for sure. Might have been a ride plate.
Check out these guys. They are pretty dedicated to your engine size.
There are some manuals for sale on ebay right now.

ProbeGT

Seaman

Thanks for the link, i suscribed to the group.

Is the Rideplate the big plate under the boat that goes from front of the intake grate to back juste before the exausth ports? Mine is bent a little to the ground. This morning I tried to straighten it up by positionning a jack under the plate's corner then lift the boat. It helped a little but the rubber seal still don't fully seat on the haul. It's only on the last 3 inches that there's a bent. What's your top speed with the 175? Alone I do about 36-37MPH and with another slim person it drops to 34. Alone it takes about 4-5 seconds to get to plate, with someone it takes about 8-9 seconds.

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, what you describe is the ride plate. You might want to look seriously at it. If the seal is bad, it can create a very disturbed water flow, and air bubbles which disrupt the water flow in the jet, sounds like what might be happening.
I've never timed my time to plane, but it's pretty quick, even with 2 adults, 3 kids and gear. Top speed alone is about 55 MPH.

ProbeGT

Seaman

Where could I buy a new rideplate? I'm searching for parts on google but i can't find a rideplate.

currently, my boat performs exactly like my brother's fishing boat (16' aluminium, very heavy) with a 50HP mercury outboard.

I know a 120HP jetdrive should perform a lot less than a 120HP outboard, but i'm sure it sould perform a lot better than a 50HP outboard on a boat about the same size.

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try mercruiser parts

Or crowleymarine. This one should give you a better idea with the diagram.

The gasket is $50, but the plate kit is $300. So you may want to pull the plate and check the gasket. Then with the plate off, you might be able to fix it and save a little cash.

ProbeGT

Seaman

I'm about to rebuild my Jet Drive unit and in the shop manual, it says I need to apply PERFECT SEAL on the stator bolts. Part# 92-342271-1

I really can't find this thread sealant on the net, what substitute could I use?

Also I'd like to know wich oil to use in my stator assembly and wich one in my gearbox.

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

My manual says to use Quicksilver Hi Performance gear lube in the stator and drive housing. Capacity of the stator is 19 fl. oz (550 cc).
Also states to apply loctite 271 to the four nozzle screws.

Perfect seal is also a Quicksilver product as seen here. I'd probably try and stick with what they recommend.

I've got all the manuals, and can try to assist where needed. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

ProbeGT

Seaman

well I'm still waiting for my parts but i know i'll have to order this sealant so i'd like to order it now.

I'll try to search quicksilver sealant instead.

In my shop manual, it says the stator only need 100CC of lube. But you have a 175 wich i think, has a bigger jet drive than the 90/120.

ProbeGT

Seaman

Well, my face can't hide the big disapointment tonight...

I finally rebuilted my Jetdrive this afternoon (new wearing, new Solas impeller, new stator bushing/seals, new rideplate) All assembled according to the Mercury shop manual.

Boat do takes of faster, there's a very good improvement there, even with 2 people, it takes off quite fast, it also seems to have more torque, when I turn around quickly it doesn't loose as much speed as before.

Top speed (onboard speedometer) 36MPH, 2 person onboard. 37MPH with only the driver. This was on a flat flat water surface.

Didnt GPS recorded the speed but i'm 100% sure it's not over 40MPH.

Engine (according to onboard tach) revs 4900-5000RPM WOT, WOT range should be between 4800 and 5600RPM.

WHAT IS THE GODAMN PROBLEM!!!!!!! Is my engine tired? I'll do a compression test tomorrow to see if it's good.

It costed me 1.5k$ just in parts to rebuild this jetdrive, and the improvements are minimal. Sure my old impeller was damaged a little and wearing had big grooves. The gap between the old impeller and wearing is a lot bigger than the new one wich is about .008"

But on WOT, i must say the boat runs very very flat, no bowrise, not even a little, could this be the problem? I'm getting angry when i hear 90HP sportjets go 38-40MPH stock and my 120 can't even go that fast with a new jetdrive...

Next step is to change nozzle bushings and reverse gate bushings.

ProbeGT

Seaman

Well, I think that's it... no one can help me?

Southbound62

Cadet