• Yamaha

Votes: 32 32.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 13.1%

• Total voters

zam989s

Recruit
Re: Who is king of the PWC???

The STX-R and the GP1200R both ran 63-65 out of the box. Back when I had a GP1200, I would frequent the Riva Yamaha forums. There would always be people on there claiming that their stock skis went 70+, and like clockwork everyone would correct them.

I have no idea how fast the newer skis run out of the box, but those two I mentioned don't run over 65. My favorite is the 3-seater Sea Doo owner claiming his ski runs 73....HA!

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

there is a unwritten agreement with the coast guard that the manufacturers keep the top speed under 70 if they don't comply the c g will pull the exempt status on the ski, so they dance on the line of that 70 mph limit.. some go over it once in a while and that causes a stink from the other manufacturers as it makes it hard to compete when people don't play by the rules.. However there are a bunch of mods that will make the big hp skies go a lot faster than 70.

AquaCruz

Cadet

Well I guess I am the outcast here. I am partial to Polaris skis. Granted they do not make them anymore but they still make parts and whatnot so I am still good to go. I have 2, one is a Polaris Virage TX and I also have the fuel injected version the Polaris Virage TXi. Both are three cylinder 1200's. I love them both but I think the carbs got me! I get about 65 out of the TX and about 62 out of the TXi. My firends all have Sea Doos and Yamis and I pull away from them on the TX. Now, another one of my friends has a Kawi Ultra 150. No lie, we run dead even. However, being that my ski is a longer and wider 3 seater, with a little bit of wake, I run away from him, well crawl away from him! LOL

But I never had a problem at all out of either of them. Fuel consumption is great, they are a blast! Quality is top notch!

Vikesfan

Seaman

Well I guess I am the outcast here. I am partial to Polaris skis. Granted they do not make them anymore but they still make parts and whatnot so I am still good to go. I have 2, one is a Polaris Virage TX and I also have the fuel injected version the Polaris Virage TXi. Both are three cylinder 1200's. I love them both but I think the carbs got me! I get about 65 out of the TX and about 62 out of the TXi. My firends all have Sea Doos and Yamis and I pull away from them on the TX. Now, another one of my friends has a Kawi Ultra 150. No lie, we run dead even. However, being that my ski is a longer and wider 3 seater, with a little bit of wake, I run away from him, well crawl away from him! LOL

But I never had a problem at all out of either of them. Fuel consumption is great, they are a blast! Quality is top notch!

I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, but unless you have a lot of mods on your ski's, you are nowhere near 65. To get those speeds you would need quite a bit of mods and you still would only get to about 63 or 64. The speedometer is very inaccurate in all pwc. (with the exception of the new Seadoo iS ski's that are read by GPS) If you are stock, you should be about 57-58. If you want to get close to 65 I have attached a link that should help you get there! :)

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16857&highlight=Virage

kneedragger

Seaman

unfortunately Honda really missed the B O A T with their first attempt to get in the p w c market,, I honestly believed they would do a great job based on their reputation,, however I understand they are attempting to correct this and perhaps the new design will save them. But the first Honda's were not desirable.

What year Honda's were pigs? I am toying with the idea of buying another ski, and was considering Honda. What is their history?

Thanks,

Vikesfan

Seaman

Honda's aren't bad skis, they just didn't live up to what was expected from Honda. People expected Honda to make the best PWC's out there in both fit and finish and performance. They are pretty well made and are pretty reliable, but they have very little aftermarket parts available and are not really performance skis. Even their turbo skis did not live up to expectations. They only ran in the low 60's at best and there wasn't the aftermarket to help bring them up to the speeds that the other manufacturers were getting from their stock skis. The new Aquatrax F15-X is an improvement, but they are still not there yet compared to the Seadoo RXP-X,RXT-X, RXP, RXT, RXT iS, GTX iS, Yamaha FZR, FZS,FX SHO, or the Kawasaki Ultra 250X or 260X. There is some progress made with Macsboost for Honda's, but it is still way behind what is available for other skis.

If you are not concerned with being the biggest, baddest, fastest ski on the lake, the Honda is a good choice. They are well made and with the removable side panels they are easy to work on. We have Honda's as our rental skis at the place I used to work at and they survived ok for the most part. Just don't flip them and suck water in them or you could be looking at $2,200 to $2,700 to replace an engine and that is just in parts. 4 strokes are expensive to fix.;)

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

aftre doing a lot of looking and research,, I just decided on a new kawasaki 250x supercharged intercooled,, it's a rocket. after owning sea doo 4 tecs for many years and finally getting tired of fixing them all the time, I decided I would never buy another sea doo. I am quite impressed with the kawasaki and aside from eating a lot of fuel I have no complaints so far.

I have an 07 Ultra 250X and love it. I won't tell my top speed as no one will ever believe it but it's pretty fast without mods. With a lot of chop in the water, I can smoke any jet ski and most boats on the water where I boat at.

The only problem I've had with it is some gas in oil issues.

I've never been impressed with Honda's skis, especially for the money.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

http://www.pwcweekly.com/showthread.php?t=3178
After all the trouble I have had with this ski I would never buy another one.. live and learn,, this one has been a big pain in the butt,, and the reason I bought a new ski was to avoid problems,, this has had one problem after another, and finding a decent repair shop is also a big consideration for people buying a ski,, the only shop I found locally that was good,, sold out and the people that took over are less than impressive,, I was told so many different stories about what was wrong and what was fixed that they have no credibility with me at all.

RTD Boater

Recruit

unfortunately Honda really missed the B O A T with their first attempt to get in the p w c market,, I honestly believed they would do a great job based on their reputation,, however I understand they are attempting to correct this and perhaps the new design will save them. But the first Honda's were not desirable.

What did you mean by "their first attempt"? When was that, does it include all models, some models, what year did they start?

RTD Boater

Recruit

I am 50 years old and the 05 Aquatrax F-12x(45hrs) I just purchased is as fast as I want to go. My kids are only 11 and 9.5 and if they can't do 70mph, oh well. I just want the one I purchased to do what it can do if I take great care of it. I have owned 6 Honda vehicles and a Honda Mower and love all of them so I am hoping this boat will stay together as long as I take care of it.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Honda is probably the finest PWC made, followed closely by Yamaha. Kawasaki is pretty good. Polaris gave up after failing to build a durable machine.
Sea Doo is an anomaly. Their styling and performance has always been top notch, but their engines struggle with durability. There are a lot of Sea Doo's in the paper for sale that are one year old and already have a replacement engine. I wouldn't go too far from the dock with one. They are fun to ride, though.

nate_1503

Cadet

LOL i wouldn't give you a Polaris, they are half *****ed in many ways, such as you have to program the fuel injectors for the EFI models but guess what, the injectors are 300 a piece and have to be taken to a polaris dealer for programming they won't sell us the software and we are one of the top 5 pwc repair facilities in NC. anyway Yamaha and Sea Doo are the big 2 and both make great ski's but reliability wise i would go Honda, all bolts and nuts are chromed, work on a 10 year old ski of another brand and you hate them quickly, honda isn't up w/ the other big 2 in pwc's but they are great ski's the new BRP stuff is hard to beat the supercharged RXP w/ some mods is wild... but to me the yamaha hull design rides better. each had their quirks demo them all