Captivation Issue

fchockey3902

Recruit
I own a 2000 kawasaki stx di 1100 and I am currently having a bit of a captivation problem. It seems that when I take off right away or at full throttle, it just sucks in air or does not grab and get going right away, it revs at full rpm's and doesnt do go anywhere and takes off very slowly. I either have to take off very slowly until I hear it catch and go or turn the steering handles and take off at an angle. ANy suggestions?

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Captivation Issue

Sounds like your impeller has eaten too many rocks. If your ski is on the trailer you need to crawl underneath it with a good flashlite and look up inside the pump, you should be able to see the impeller and what shape the leading edges are in. You might have to take the intake grate off, not sure, on Kawis, I can see it on my Yamahas. If there are alot of nicks you probably have to replace it. If the impeller looks good you probably just have some other junk like grass/weeds or something else stuck in there or wrapped around the drive shaft, it don't take much. Check out this site for great impeller info. http://www.impros.com/index.html

arks

Lieutenant Commander

The word is "cavitation", but I got a good laugh because I'm captivated with my PWC!

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

it sounds like either a really bad impeller// or you have something stuck between the blades or wrapped around your drive shaft. better look real close inside the pump and at the drive shaft.
s b t on the web has inexpensive impeller replacements,, but your issue sounds more like some trash between the blades or bad pump bearings