How does this work

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yammy 650 1993 Drove it for a hour and the overheat sensor went on..only made the engine run 3000rpms.. i shut it off for five minutes and it went off..road it for another 30 minutes and no problems..When i got back to shore i cleared some grass out off the jet i see a hose in there from where it pics water up..my question is how does the overheat sensor work??? also can you limp home w/o damaging the motor??? thanks Erik

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How does this work

always best to shut it down, check for obstruction like you found.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Overheat sensors are typically snap switches. They are open circuit until the engine reaches a pre-determined cylinder head temperature. At that point the switch snaps closed sounding an alarm and putting the engine in limp home mode (rpm limited). Don't even think about disconnecting it. It told you that there was a problem and it prevented you from running back to the dock at WOT thus saving the engine.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

I do not believe that old of a ski had a limp mode,, just an alarm,, it probably expanded the pistons from overheating and slowed down the engine due to excess friction between the pistons and the cylinder walls.