how to tell if its overheating

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi i have a 93 yammy 650 i just bought it compression is 150lb on both cylinders is that good?? also i took it out and it ran great but i don't see a tell tale hole..there is that one thing in the back that shoots out a bout a foot of water or so is that it???if not how can you tell

dzldogg

Cadet
Re: how to tell if its overheating

Hey 150 is perfect.....pisser out the back is for show only,it is plumbed into jet pump. My yami 650 has 2 waterbypass fittings on upper hull starboard right behind fuel filler neck.My Waveraider has a water bypass fitting on port side front lower hulljust under rubrail.As far as your title question...when it slows down to like 2500rpms and wont accelerate beyond(overheat sensor kicks the rev-limiter into'limp home' mode). Have fun!:)

Camlocker

Cadet

x2. Limp mode and restricts the rpms. My skis have the water outlets on the port side and can put my foot down and it is very warm, almost hot water exiting. Check your water filters and pull the sensor. It could be corroded or needs replacing.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

those don't have a limp mode too old of a ski!! if it overheats the head will be too hot to touch and the engine paint will get dark.

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class

i can't touch the head but the overheat sensor isn't on now and engine is running great!!!your saying if it isn't overheating you should be able to touch the head????

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dont understand it..what should i do...i back flushed it then stuck a power washer up the pipe..it runs and the temp sensor isn't coming on anymore???what do you suggest?? the head isn't touchable if i run it a hour then turn it off??