650 SX kawasaki Bogging Down

Jimmyboot

Cadet
So we just bought a Kawasaki 650 SX and it is bogging down bad. So what we did is we took the gas line off and ran it tell it ran out of gas. Then we hooked it back up and primed it and ran. It went great for about 20 secounds then bogged down again. We now know it is getting to much gas and when it builds up it bogs down. So we Cleaned the carbarator completly and the air filter was Horribly Clogged. So we also took the reeds off and cleaned them too. We have not gotten out to test it yet but we think it might have been that there was to much suction from the air filter being clogged causing the primer to leak gas into the carb. So we are going to try this out. We also replaced the spark plugs. So took the carb apart, cleaned air filter, New Plugs, and when we get it on the lake if it bogs down again we are going to take the primer off. Any other suggestions of what could be happening. If it is getting to much gas how do we stop it from getting so much? We also found out it has a slight exhaust leak which i read can cause it to choke out the motor causing it to run lean is this True?

Jimmyboot

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 650 SX kawasaki Bogging Down

exhaust in the hull will make it starve for oxygen and kill top end,, run with the seat removed and if it runs good you know the exhaust leak is doing the bogging,, the air filter is getting filthy from sucking in exhaust gases

Jimmyboot

Cadet

so we just ordered the exhaust coupler so we should have that next week. But would the exhaust leak cause it to only go like 5 MPH after burning up all the oxygen in the hull or could that be somthing else. I was also informed that when there is a leak in the exhaust it can cause the engine to bog down making it burn lean. Or is that caused because the carbartor has no oxygen left in the hull because of the exhaust Leaving unburned gas in the cylinders or both please more responses.

Jimmyboot

Cadet

So we went and replaced that coupler and it is still bogging down after about 100 yards could it be caused by timing issue or i would it be a fuel line problem please send some more feedback thanks please.:mad:

MikDee

Banned

Check the compression! and get back to us with the numbers, if it's not up to snuff (at least 100lbs, and even across the board) this could be the problem.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

First I would pull the fuel filters from in the gas tank and check to see if plugged.

Then, if they are fine and not all varnished up, I would pull the carbs and disassemble and clean them out. I did the carbs from 750 today because it was bogging. Should have seen the ***** in it.

I did not put a new kit in the carb. Just cleaned and reused everything. I did test the diaphragms though by putting dish soap on it and putting light amount of compressed air from the other side and watch for bubbles.

The jet ski absolutely screamed up the lake afterwards.

Then..... blew the exhaust coupler hose and had to lift the seat and nurse it back home. :eek:

MikDee makes a good point about checking compression. It was the first thing I did when I was told that the jet ski could not get the revs up to par...

Bill

Jimmyboot

Cadet

So we did everythign compression was fine and so we then went to the ignition cause the carbs were clean. We replaced the Ignitor for 145 bucks on ebay and now it runs like a dream. So all it NEEDED WAS AN IGNITOR/IGNITION COIL. Thanks you guys for all your help.:cool: