3 XL700 questions-please help

kdgncop

Seaman Apprentice
We just bought it for 2000 and it is an '01 model. The oil injection has been blocked off.

1. the "spout" on the SIDE does not have any water coming out of it. SHOULD I HAVE WATER COMING OUT? If so, where should I start and will it hurt to run it the way it is?

2. he said run 40:1 premix. Is this the right mixture you guys would recommend?

3. Do I have power valves that I should worry about??

We are coming from waveraider world where things have been great and sold one of our two for this bigger one. Thanks in advance for your help!

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 3 XL700 questions-please help

What cc engine you got? You should have or get a Clymer or Yamaha Factory manual that should tell you what premix to run. I have '95 and '96 Ventures and they are 50:1. Running premix is a good thing, no chance of an oil pump failure or oil line coming off the carbs.
You should have water spraying out of the spout/water bypass when your are WOT, just a dribble at idle or when you are flushing. Could be clogged, mine got clogged a few times and I just poke a thin wire into the whole just a little and sometimes that will unclog it. Not sure if that will hurt it or not, but to be on the safe side, I would say don't run it clogged. I'm not an expert, just learned things from experience. You can email guys at Protec or Riva Yamaha, they should know if your model has power valves.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 3 XL700 questions-please help

1. Yes there should be water coming out of it. Probably just clogged with some sand. its just a water outlet to let you know water is circulating through the cooling system. 99% of your water is going out the exhaust
So make sure your cooling system isnt clogged. If you flush it and have a nubch of water coming out of the exhaust outlet youre probably ok but I woudl take the hose off at the head and blow through it to see if the littel pisser is clogged somewhwere. Could be kinked so check for that.

Nothing wrong with 40:1. I used to run 40:1 with regular oil and 50:1 with synthetic. Either one will work

If you have a 700 that motor is not a power valve motor. if you have a 800 then that has powervalves. Upgrade the power valve keepers if you havent already.

I used to have a waveraider 1100. your 700 is basically a 1100 motor with one less cylinder and smaller bore.