general questions about new purchase

bpd119

Seaman
Hello, I just picked up a 1993 Yamaha VXR Pro 701cc for a steal. it is in absolute perfect condition, and runs like a top. I am wondering if there is anything I should know about this machine, (i am new to PWC's), some good aftermarket parts to invest in etc. if anyone knows anything about this machine please share.

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: general questions about new purchase

Well, I'm a Yamaha guy for the last 13 years and although I am not familiar with the VXR, I do know that Yamies are the most reliable pwc on the water. I have 3 Waventures, 2-701's and 1-1100, never ever had a single problem outside of replacing 6 year old batteries and pulling occasional weeds out of the pumps, so you did good by getting a Yamaha. First off, get a shop manual, I have a Clymer and it's good but a Yamaha factory manual might be better. eBay is probably your best bet for aftermarket parts, since you have a '93, lots of places like Protec and Riva Yamaha don't have much stuff for that year ski anymore, I tried to get a rideplate and oil cover plate for my 95 last year and the items were discontinued. They still have some stuff like intake grates and flame arrestors, impellers, and primer kits. Parker Yamaha online is a great place for stuff too. First thing I did to my ski's were to intall a primer kit, scoop grate, and change the oil injection over to premix. You can do these things yourself if you are good with a wrench. The 701's are really easy to work on too.