Flipped my jet ski and now it will not power up

woodpenman2000

Recruit
I turned my 1997 seadoo GTS on its side today. I was able to get back to shore then I was unable to get any power to start it. I checked and saw that there was a lage amount of water in the inside of the body. I was unable to get any electical thing to show. I put it on the trailer and drained it. After checking my fuses and changing batteries I still get no power. Please help

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Flipped my jet ski and now it will not power up

follow the spark plug wires back to a black box,, press the tabs and remove the top of the box,, get all the water out of the box and dry out the ignition coil,, then spray silicon spray all over the coil etc then see if it runs.

woodpenman2000

Recruit

I tried that and it did not work. It seems like power is not getting to anything. My guages do not even light up. Could it have something to do with the electronic key? Could I have shorted it out when water got on it?

Help

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

not usually but you may need to start pulling all the pin connectors on your wire harness and from the brain ,, spray them with silicon and plug them back in,, also remove your spark plugs and clean them as you may have some water in the crank case and it fouled the plugs

woodpenman2000

Recruit

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately, it still did not work. Do you have anymore suggestions? I have aired it out for five days now and was hoping that it would dry it out.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

check the main ground wire by the starter,, and the ground inside the ignition box

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Since the electrical system appears to be dead, did you check the battery cable connections at the battery. Did the battery bounce around or come loose? If so, the plates could haves shorted and the battery is toast. A voltmeter check will prove or disprove that. Follow the voltage. Start at the battery and work through the system. Disconnect, clean, and reconnect all electrical connectors.

woodpenman2000

Recruit

Thank you guys for your help. I have spent a lot of time thinking about what started this. I remembered that everything stopped working when my son pressed the VTS button. I changed the fuse and I have power. However, every time I press the trim button I hear a click in the back end and then the fuse blows. Can you suggest what I should do now? Should I explore and take apart the vts or take it into a shop? Help

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

the v t s motor has water in it and it is shorting out,, dry it out and inspect the rubber boot that goes through the transom those leak quite often

woodpenman2000

Recruit

I found out that the VTS was jammed and that was causing the fuse to blow. I have fixed this and now I have power to the guages and the VTS is working. I still can not get it to turn over. Could it be the electronic key? I even tried to jump it from a car battery. The car was off so I didn't do any damage. This still did not work. Help!!!!!!!

JUSTINTIME

Captain

check all fuses bro
do you have a shop manaul?