96 Yamaha Wave Venture III 1100 - Bad, Bad Bendix?

boatin fan

Recruit
Problem # 1 - I have a 96 Yamaha Wave Venture III 1100 with, from what I have read here, has a bad bendix gear. The stater spins but wont engage the engine. How tough is the repair to complete? I'd like to try it myself, but don't know what I am in for. Does anyone have any detailed procedures they can send me? I have the Yamaha repair manual for the ski, but there are not detailed instructions on how to get access to the part, etc. Help!!

Problem # 2 - Same ski - Overheats after wife ran over a sand bar and got stuck. How do I source and clear the cooling line from the jet?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 96 Yamaha Wave Venture III 1100 - Bad, Bad Bendix?

the cooling line is probably jsut clogged with sand. Youll need to remove the cooling line at the motor and blow it out with the garden hose. Also you probably have sand in the water passages and other cooling hoses. Clean those out also. The cooling line comes from the pump ( its a big hose about 3/4 inch thick) there is one for the syphon so dont confuse the two. The cooling hose comes off the right side of the pump. and the syphon comes off the left side of the pump.

You can get to the bendix. Youll need a long extension 12 or 13 mm socket and a ratchet. Youll need to snake the whole thing under the exhaust pipe where the starter is located ( left side of motor ) youll also have some 10 mm bolts holding up the back of the starter and a 10 mmm nut for the starter cable. ( disconnect battery before starting the work) When you remove all the bolts the starter and bendix will come out. the starter mounting holes look a lot like a thermostat housing pattern from a chevy v8. a oval shape with two bolts at the tips of the oval.

Thats the harder way.

You need to see if the bendix is corroded before you go through all that. Take off the front cover of the motor where the stator and fly wheel are located. the bendix head will be visible. It could be simply stuck. Spray a bunch of WD 40 or liquid wrench and try to get it to engage with the starter. It shoudl loosen up. Keep spraying the bendix untill it moves freely. you probably got water in it at one tome wither through the back of the starter hole or the front cover.
I never had a bendix go bad on my 1100 Raider
Rob

Last edited: