Tigershark lack of power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icehound

Cadet
:(

My 1996 Artic Cat Tiger shark Montego 640 jetski starts and idles fine but does not open up beyond about 15-20 mph.

I have checked jets / fuel source and that does not seem to be the problem. Baffles have been replaced; a compression check is fine on both cylinders at idle / dry land revving; plugs have been checked and replaced; new carburetor was installed 3 years ago. This weekend I installed a new ignition coil with plugs leads at a neighbor?s suggestion and that did not do a thing either.

I have had many guesses from friends as to what the problem is; head gasket to CDI unit fouling but parts are very expensive and hard to find for this old baby. B4 this she worked fine. It is probably something simple but it is eluding me! Thinking about cutting my losses and selling as is unless someone knows my exact problem or and simple inexpensive next attempt.

If you have experienced this problem and found the solution, I would love to know! Thanks, signed Baffled

PS - does someone know of a cheap part source in Canada (that saves me on high duty and customs rates when importing) Thanks again

ckauffman

Cadet
Re: Tigershark lack of power

I'm having the same prob. with my 94 Sea-doo GTX. Hope theres help out there.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

:(

a compression check is fine on both cylinders at idle / dry land revving; plugs have been checked and replaced;

How did you do a compression check if the motor was running?
You cay you get to 20 MPH. Did you check the pump? do you get cavitation. Does the motor rev up but the ski doesnt go anywhere? You may have a bent impeller. Did you run over any rocks and suck one up?
Im not sure how you checked the compression. from what you wrote its impossible to check compression that way
Rob

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

3 years on a carb in a jet ski?? that may need some looking at internally, could be in there that you are experiencing problems, running out of water isn't telling you anything,, they all run good with no load or back pressure.

Icehound

Cadet

Thanks Rob454
Sorry, wrote that wrong...
Compression check was done by turning over not actually running the motor.
On water it runs "smooth" but just doesn't seem to be getting fuel / power above 15-20 mph. Don't believe it is an impeller as I have been very careful not to run in shallow water due to sucking up stones. Appreciate the suggestions.

Jeff;
I will take the carb out this weekend and check it out and clean if needed. Maybe some dirt recently got through the fuel filters. Thanks for the feedback! Will let you know

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

You probably have clogged high speed jets. Either that or the filters on tbe back of the carbs are clogged up. Also check for a kinked fuel supply line and make sure the check valve is ok on the gas tank. Do you hear a PPPSSSHHHTTTT sound when you take off the gas cap? If you get air out thats ok but make sure the gas tank isnt collapsing.

Rob

Icehound

Cadet

Took the Carb off this morning and cleaned, jets all clear. Fuel line and gas tank all OK. Re-installed and no change in lack of power as I open up. :( Started fine after fuel re-entered carb as always.

While running pulled front plug wire and engine died. Ran again and pulled back plug wire and engine just kept running?????

Last week I had installed new ignition coil, plug wires, caps and plugs.
Any thoughts on cause of this? Something in CDI unit not working perhaps? Thanks

solartechmaxx

Recruit

Ok, I have the same ski and have had the same problem except mine would run fine for about 15 seconds and then cut back to one cylinder. Sounds like you have the same prfoblem and the Good news is that you have a bad sensor. I have 3 different skis of different makes and the tigershark is the only one with this sensor but seems to be a Great idea. Look on your manifold and you will see a tempeture sensor held in by a screw, take out screw and replace it. Its made to shut the sysem down to almost an idle when engine gets hot to keep from blowing head gaskets or the motor its self. I replaced mine and it runs like a new one untill last week when my coil wire went bad. Say do you want to sell your old coil and wires? I think this is your problem since I have 2 tigersharks and both have had this problem. Good luck! Maxx

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

if you need some used parts for that shark , check with www.jetkingparts.com or email parts@jetkingparts.com they had a lot of parts for those but I can't tell you what they have on hand,, worth checking though.
as for the sea doo having the same problem,, it is usually clogged internal fuel filters in the carbs or bad diaphragms in the carbs also bad fuel selector switch. most times when a sea doo runs poor at top end it's fuel supply problems.

paul_marshe

Recruit

I know exactly what the problem is, this happened to me this summer when I put my Tigershark in the water. I could not figure it out for hours. Once on a testdrive it suddenly started working fine. When I stopped and pulled the seat off there was a bunch of water in jetski. I soon realized that the water line that goes to the thermostat housing on the top of the head had sprung a leak (now what are the chances of that). It turns out that these jetski's (and most likely other makes) do not seem to bled the air out of the top of the engine after being drained for the winter on their own. The engine was actually overheating within min and thus the engine barely ran with almost no power (got you to the dock at 1 mph or so). This is what I did to fix the problem:
1) I replaced the small water line, (probably not needed on yours).
2) Connected the end on the manifold but left the thermostat end off.
3) Tied the jetski off to the dock in the back and started the engine with the thermostat end still off.
4) Waited until water came out the hose and out the thermostat fitting and then pushed the line on and then the clamp all with the engine still running. This blead all the air out of the engine.

Problem fixed, worked great for the next 2 weeks when I put it up until next years vacation. Don't suppose you want to buy my Tighershark.

Paul M.
Arlington, TN
1993 Seadoo GTS
1992 Seadoo SP
1993 Tigershark Barracuda (At my parents in Dartmouth NS.)

watermellonI

Petty Officer 1st Class

you may also want to check all your exhaust hose clamps and fittings, I have a 770 that just putters when there is ahole or a clamp or hose loose.

waterho

Recruit

I know what is wrong with your ski. After a lot of frustration and heartache, and having to tell my son that "it still don't work" and seeing the disappointment on his face, I called a man by recommendation. He checked combustion, no problem, he checked electronics, no problem. He was certain that it was a fuel problem. Within an hour he had my carb off and put back on. Filters were fine, jets were fine, high and low settings were correct. On the side of your carb where the pulse diaphram is, underneath it is a "faulkman arm". Has a spring underneath and a needle valve at the other end. The faulkman arm becomes flattened after riding a lot and does not allow fuel to the 2nd cylinder. Take a flat head screwdriver and pry it up so that it is not level with the inside of the carb. Replace black diaphram and cover and get on the water today!!

ignisuti

Recruit

What is a "faulkman arm"? I have the same problem, but couldn't figure out what you were talking about. Can't find the term anywhere on Google. Did you perhaps misspell it?

MarkPrimo

Recruit

I have a similar problem and I am surprised at how everyone seems to "know" exactly what his problem is. Other forums suggest to me that the Jet Pump needs a rebuild kit. Water is coming out of the Bellows. It should be sealed. I think fishing line or something ruined the seals and water got into the Jet Pump. The manual says it should be sealed and even pressure and vaccum tested. Since water is pumping through the Bellows, I know it won't pass any pressure or vaccum test. I just have to figure out how to get it fixed. I have a 1996 Tigershark Montego Deluxe 640. Nobody around here seems to work on them and I am having trouble finding this rebuild kit. I am also worried there will be more wrong once it gets torn apart which doesn't look like fun work. The symptom is that the ski just doesn't quite plane off. It moves like 15-20 mph at the most. Engine seems to work fine. Other forums suggest the Jet Pump Seals and when I saw water coming out of the funny looking bellow, that confirms it to me.

Johjan0328

Recruit
Hello! I have the same problem with my tigershark 640! Did you ever get it running properly again? Thanks Johan from. sweden

riderfan77

Recruit
hello there, I know this is a really old thread, but I am having the same problem. I got this ski super cheap and just want it to work well enough to have the wife and kids get used to riding a ski. So did anyone ever find a fix. I have cleaned carbs, new plugs, new wires to spark plugs. it now starts and runs great on the trailer. throw it in the lake and starts but within 5 to 10 seconds it is wanting to stall and barely limp it back to the dock with throttle wide open just to keep it running. Also, just in case anyone actually sees this post. I have another question. there is a fitting above the jet pump {right under the seat} that is made for a 1/4 inch hose. I found this with a old piece of hose on it,(really short piece) and not a hot clue where that hose is supposed to go. It is NOT the hose for the speedometer , that is another hose. I have looked at service manual and searched and have no bloody idea where that hose should be attached too. PLEASE HELP!!! thank you

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
hello there, I know this is a really old thread, but I am having the same problem. I got this ski super cheap and just want it to work well enough to have the wife and kids get used to riding a ski. So did anyone ever find a fix. I have cleaned carbs, new plugs, new wires to spark plugs. it now starts and runs great on the trailer. throw it in the lake and starts but within 5 to 10 seconds it is wanting to stall and barely limp it back to the dock with throttle wide open just to keep it running. Also, just in case anyone actually sees this post. I have another question. there is a fitting above the jet pump {right under the seat** that is made for a 1/4 inch hose. I found this with a old piece of hose on it,(really short piece) and not a hot clue where that hose is supposed to go. It is NOT the hose for the speedometer , that is another hose. I have looked at service manual and searched and have no bloody idea where that hose should be attached too. PLEASE HELP!!! thank you

If you want help start a new thread. Are you really expecting help by posting a 12 year old thread that doesn't seem to have helped anyone.

Your post should be deleted since you start with "I know this is a really old thread". Just closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.