need some help right now, buying a '89/'90 kawasaki ts 650

Technogeek

Cadet
hi,<br />i'm looking to purchase a kawasaki ts 650 jet ski 1989/90 model. apparently the motor was rebuilt about a year ago, but it wont run, apparently due to the starter motor needing repair, but the owner only used twice in the last 9 months and now he fitted a new battery. could anyone please tell me what to look out for when buying (i am familiar with engines and i have a boat also) and could this starter motor problem be related to something else? also is it hard/expensive to replace a starter motor in a ski? finally is there any i can turn it over by hand/start it before i buy it?, cause i dont want a dud!<br /><br />thanks for your time.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: need some help right now, buying a '89/'90 kawasaki ts 650

TG,<br /><br />I would offer next to nothing for the thing. If it wont start or run it had better be at a very good price.<br />In my years of horse trading anything that "only needs a battery" is very suspecious.<br />Tell him to get the thing running or you will discount it as if the entire engine or pump is bad, as it may well be.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know.

Technogeek

Cadet

i spoke to the guy as its being sold on ebay, and he said that the starter motor is polling but it needs a reco one (by the way i'm talking $900 au approx $600-700 us with trailer)though thanks for the tip of being wary of these dodgy traders, who knows what your gettin these days!

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

I doubt it needs a starter. the pump is siezed and locking up the engine, very common problem with a old kawasaki, rotate the driveshaft coupler by hand if it will not turn it is the pump in most cases. used pumps are hard to find because this is so common/ new ones will be 5 or 6 hundred dollars and that is more than the ski is worth.

Technogeek

Cadet

hey jeff, how hard should the driveshaft be turning wise? could you give me a rough idea how to get to it? also should i take the plugs out to make sure the cyl's arent sticking cause otherwise i'd think its compression probably.<br /><br />thanks.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

with the plugs out it should turn fairly easy by hand.if you grab the driveshaft with a pair of vicegrips and try to rock it slightly back and forth, if the pump is stuck it will not move, there is a little play at the rubber bushing and it should allow for a little movement if not the pump is frozen , look in the pump from the rear of the ski with a flashlight, see if the impeller edges are touching the liner any where. there should be a sliver of clearance all the way around the blade edge. Usually when the pump locks up it happens when the ski is not in use, the starter gets stuck in the flywheel because the engine will not turn over, then people think the starter is bad , if you believe the pump is frozen remove it and start the engine if it turns over and runs with the pump removed you know what the problem is. to locate the coupler look behind the engine and you will see a large round piece with a rubber part between both halves with fins that contact the bushing like two sets of fins with rubber between them.

Technogeek

Cadet

thanks for that jeff, that really hepls me understand it all. now i gotta go shopping!(for skis!)

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

If you want some good deals, run an add in the local paper for jet skis, You would be surprised what deals you can get for next to nothing. I went with a friend yesterday and picked up 2 seadoos with a double trailer for 500 , some people give the thing away because it will not start or it has been sitting and they don't want it any more, you would be surprised what deals you can get, but you need mechanical expertise . Just had a 99 kaw 1100 for 500 with no spark, on a kaw the first suspect is plug wires they deteriorate internally in a few years, and they will not run, new plug wires and pow it runs like a new ski. I run an add for unwanted jet skis running or not and get great deals all the time. Had one guy sell me a 3 seater kaw for 200 with a trailer because it had a hole in the water box, made 2 grande on that one. Jet skis are high maintenance and people get tired of spending money fixing the things so they get rid of them cheep. I have a friend with a used parts business so parts are not expensive and I do all the work myself, even glass work etc so it works for me when business slows down in the winter,and that is when people get rid of the broken ski cheep.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't get that thing. I have an older Yamaha, of the same vintage, and I can tell you the newer skis are night and day better. For a few hundred more you can get something so much better.

mparedez

Recruit

If you want some good deals, run an add in the local paper for jet skis, You would be surprised what deals you can get for next to nothing. I went with a friend yesterday and picked up 2 seadoos with a double trailer for 500 , some people give the thing away because it will not start or it has been sitting and they don't want it any more, you would be surprised what deals you can get, but you need mechanical expertise . Just had a 99 kaw 1100 for 500 with no spark, on a kaw the first suspect is plug wires they deteriorate internally in a few years, and they will not run, new plug wires and pow it runs like a new ski. I run an add for unwanted jet skis running or not and get great deals all the time. Had one guy sell me a 3 seater kaw for 200 with a trailer because it had a hole in the water box, made 2 grande on that one. Jet skis are high maintenance and people get tired of spending money fixing the things so they get rid of them cheep. I have a friend with a used parts business so parts are not expensive and I do all the work myself, even glass work etc so it works for me when business slows down in the winter,and that is when people get rid of the broken ski cheep.

Hey jeff, sounds like you really know your way around jet skis, can you help with how to replace a starter on a 92 kawasaki js 650, (has ts written on the side, but manual says js650. Try to start jet ski and you can hear starter spin, but wont start, was running fine. Just happened. How hard is it to change starter? Can you tell me how? Thanks Mario

rheine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have two 1990 650s and love em---so far. They ring-a-ding-ding just like the old bikes. Really easy to start, too. They pop right away. Twice I've had one roll and fill with water. Idiot kids would flip it upright and hit the start button. It took a week each time but got the water out and back into service she went. Sure the newer ones have a lot better engineering but if you find an oldie that runs for a couple hundred you got a toy at least for one summer. And a 'lil jet ski for a whole summer for $200-$300 then it's not a bad deal. These are also a little safer for the speed crazed teens than the new rockets.

Not trying to resuscitate a thread just thowin in some thoughts.

Kawasakikilian1

Recruit

I got a 1990 Kawasaki 650sx and the impeller won't spin it's getting caught up.... I have the jet almost removed I just want to take the drive shaft out... Does anyone know how to remove it because I can't figure it out