Kawasaki 1100 ZXi

Irish Hills

Recruit
I am considering purchasing a 2001 Kawasaki 1100 ZXi with less than 30 hours on it. My questions are:<br />1) Is this 120 hp, 2 seater acceptable for tubing?<br />2) Is it a "good" jetski? <br />3) Any estimates on what fuel consumption may run?<br />4) Anything to pay specific attention to when I go to look at it?<br />Thanks.

Rick Byers

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Kawasaki 1100 ZXi

Answer to you rquestions in order<br />1 no not legal in most states to tube or ski behind a 2 seater.<br />2 yes if properly maintained<br />3 HORRIFIC<br />4 not much. You need to have a shop check it out prior to giving the seller your money, Have them check compression and the pump for visiable damage. Hope this helps <br />Rick

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

if your state requires a spotter, forget it for pulling any one and if you try to drive a 2 seater with 2 people you better like getting wet because you will be falling over a lot probably before you ever get going. in fla you only need mirrors so then it will work ok ,I have used many 2 seaters here with mirrors.

ronskal

Cadet

I used to chase a friend who had an 1100ZXi for many a season.<br />He thrashed it severly, was neglegent on maintenance and the thing just kept going.<br /><br />It's a heavy watercraft for its size so if you can legally tube I'm sure it would pull fine.<br /><br />All big two strokes eat gas. No big deal, you can ride for the better part of a day on a tank.

magnottiprod

Cadet

I just bought a 2000 ZXi 1100 in mint cond. Took it out for 1st run last week. awesome! very fast I am used to riding a big three seat GTI seadoo. at first the Zxi felt a bit unstable but it just digs into the turns like your on a rail. It has been hard to start when cold. but foun out it just the design of the carbs. i was told to get a primer kit for it.

njk4o5

Recruit

i just bought a 2000 1100 zxi and hav had nothing but problems with it...i blew the pistons the first season i had it and it is a killer on gas. but it handles like a dream and it is very fast. i did regular maintanence on it and thougt i was treating it good but it still blew up on me. def has enough power for tubing i can pull 2 tubes at once!

rdemay

Cadet

magnoman...did the kit solve the starting problems? and was it from a dealer and how much $$

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

primer kits run abotu 15-20$. You should pull the carbs when installing cause you have to take out the choke plates ( highly recommended) and the screws holding the plates need to be drilled out.<br /><br /><br />As for the original questions<br />1. Some states allow 2 seaters to tow but most dont. you need a spot for the driver the spotter and the person on the tube thus 3 seaters are neded.<br /><br />2. Great jet ski. some years are faster than others. some of the latest ones are slugs (52-54MPH) some got to 56-57 in the earlier years.<br />They seem to be very reliable skis ( a couple of my buddies own them)<br /><br />3. My buddies and I can go to the river and run from morning to afternoon ( 1-2 pm) on one tank. thats not full on riding constantly. constant riding I can go abotu 1 hour at top speed but my ski has aftermarket 44s with stock 38s I could go abotu 1 1/2- 1.45 hours on one tank. I have a Yamaha 1100 though.<br /><br />As for what to look for when buying a jet ski<br />I wrote this article and had it posted on SBTontheweb.com<br /><br /> http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13975 <br /><br />Lots of info on what to look for when purchasing.<br />its abotu 9 pages long if you print it

reka12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where are you from? Look up your state's law on towing. As with Jeff, we pulled many a skiier behind our 1100 ZXI. Our 97 porpoised quite a bit. The electric trim was somewhat problematic but otherwise the thing was fast, reliable, thirsty and smokey during long idles through the canals. I loved the ZXI. It would take most of the PWCs on the lake, was a terrific wake jumper, submarined easily and was h*&l on sunglasses. I used to Sharpie small sunglasses on the side whenever someone lost a pair. I think it had nine on it when we finally sold it. I even had a pair ripped out of croakies during one particularly nasty throw. JMO. Mike