winterizing 1997 waverunner

rivercat49

Seaman Apprentice
Is it ok to use automotive antifreeze in the water pump, or should I use rv antifreeze?

Norm Malcosky

Seaman
Re: winterizing 1997 waverunner

rivercat,<br /><br />I own a '95 waveraider (701cc) and a '99 SUV (1300cc) - but have never added antifreeze to either engine. I believe the Yamaha manuals suggest raising the bow as high as possible and running the engine for a few seconds (30) to dewater the exhaust box and engine. <br /><br />I usually also fog the engines through the intake air cleaner ports with a spray fogging oil. Don't forget to stabilize the fuel with some fuel additive - and your done. !!

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

antifreeze is not needed. Just fire it up and blow water out, fog cylinders, take battery in house on trickle charge, fill gas tank with stabilizer added.

rivercat49

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys we bought the waverunner in the spring and wanted to make sure I winterized correctly.

penguin

Seaman

IT would be good to grease any fittings you have and, spray a light film of WD-40 on the engine. This is to help keep the corosion down.

waterinthefuel

Commander

You can use silicon lubricant instead of WD40, it's not as greasy and works just as well.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dont forget to spray some fogging oil in the cylinders and move the PTO shaft by hand to slide the pistons up n down a cycle. Also put some anti-seize compound on the spark plug threads to guard against rust during the winter.<br /><br />Former PWC owner here. <br />For a great web site on PWC's try www.sea-doo.net<br />Fantastic site for information. It does for PWC's what Iboats does for boats..... :rolleyes:

Seaboo2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"antifreeze is not needed. Just fire it up and blow water out".... Just a question if this is the case then why does a shop manual, dealer, ect., advise it?????<br /><br /> Less than an hour time, and 5 dollars invested is CHEEP insurance. I my self am not as woried about the waterbox as I am the passages in the head(S).