95 Sea Ray F16

im4bernstein

Cadet
Found one in local advertiser for what I consider is cheap ($1500-$2000) never owned one or really messed around with anything like this before. The ad says it's in really good shape execpt for it has a bad piston. Was just wondering if anybody has done any reapirs on any of these and if it would be worth it to purchase it and get a kit to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 95 Sea Ray F16

there really isn't a "kit" to fix something like that...you need to pull off the cylinder head and see what kind of damage there is..did the rings break and score the cylinder walls?? did the pieces of broken ring pound into the head ?? did the rod break ?? you can't really tell without a teardown what kind of money a repair will cost :cool:

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With any repair required as a result of damage to one or more parts, it is most advantageous to determine cause of failure. "Bad piston" doesn't tell much, and more important...what else is damaged as a result? rings", cylinder walls? head? etc.<br /><br />Piston damage usually results from the failure of other components and probably requires complete tear down of the engine. You don't mention engine type, although the SeaRay F16 is a jet drive boat and not a PWC. You might get more responses to your engine question in the I/O engine forum.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Way too much I picked up a 94 Sea Pro Renegade 16.5' that needed a magnet glued back in and a trigger assembly for $400 came with trailer and all

Keep looking

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This thread is from 2003 :eek:

Might want to look at dates before you post. I'm sure he's not still looking for one, plus he hasn't been back to the forums in several years at least.