General PWC Starter question

jimogeek

Cadet
I picked up a pretty clean '93 tigershark for a pretty good deal (or so I thought). When I got done with some of the mundane cleanup work on it, I tried to get it started. The starter whirs away, but no bang bang. I thought it may have been a low voltage situation, so I charged up the battery, and tried again. Still no luck. I then bought a new batter, and same result. Finally got mad, took half the engine apart to get to the starter, and took it out. The starter 'gear' is pretty dry, and shows a little wear. The o-ring needs to be replaced, and I guess it needs some lube. My question is, what can I do to get this thing to work? My next step was to rebuild/clean the starter up (already did), lube up the starter gear with some sort of white lithium grease, put it all back together, and see if it runs. Any comments? How does the starter on a PWC differ (if at all) from the starter on a boat?<br /><br />Thanks!

Eric H

Cadet
Re: General PWC Starter question

your bendix is not working and is probably rusted. You need to inspect it and it is located under under the flywheel. If the T-shark is a 3 cylinder you will need to pull the motor or at least take the 6 plate mounts loose and tip the front of the motor up. SBT can sell you a like new Bendix for $40.