Ran engine in water!

firstboat19

Cadet
Hi, my friend has an 18ft Seadoo Challenger 1800. This weekend we took it out to the lake. A piece of towing rope got sucked in below the the engine (not the water intake, but some hole beneath the boat, behind intakes - had to dive in to get it out). It took him 1 hour to get it out! Then the boat went very slow - at 5000rpm it went ~ 15mph. Then the sound alarm went off (the engine got overheated!) We opened the engine compartment and the engines were half-submerged in the water! Later on we found out that one of the caps welded into the jet drive poped off thus letting the water flow into the boat.<br />Was wondering whether it's going to be an easy fix. Also any idea what kind of hole that was that sucked in the rope - cooling pump maybe? Any suggestion on how to fix/and then maintain the boat?<br />P.S. We ran the boat to the shore on the engine that was not leaking...it sounded rough, white smoke came out, sounded like water was entering air intake (we ran it very very slow).<br /><br />Thank you all in advance, any suggestions appreciated!<br /><br />NiK

ahsah

Cadet
Re: Ran engine in water!

My neighbor told me it is pretty common for snow mobiles to go thru the ice and they get them back by getting them running as soon as possible. Rust sets up in just a few hours. <br /><br />My seadoo has been totally swamped twice. <br /><br />Both times I pulled the plugs, cranked the engine until all the water was out of the cylinders. Then used carb cleaner as starting fuel and worked with it until it started, then ran it at low idle for a period of time until I felt comfortable running it at full throttle. There is no permanant damage that I am aware of, other than an intermittant electrical short problem. Another post another time.<br /><br />Steve<br />Lake Manawa in Iowa

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Steve...not really a PWC person but a two stroke is a two stroke.<br /><br />Unsing Carb/Choke cleaner to start yer' engine is NOT a good thing to do. No Lube in the stuff. No lube leads to scared cylinder walls and not real good things like that.<br /><br />What ya need to do is...when the engine goes for a swim, drain the carbs, blow the water from the cylinders and make sure there is no water in the fuel lines. Use a spray bottle filled with gas/oil mix to spary into the carbs to get it going. There is also some real good electronics cleaner on the market that will displace water from coils and electrical stuff and it's fast drying. Before you do try and start it, spray some TCW-3 (light coat) into the cylinders. This will keep the rings lubed.

geauxjoe

Cadet

Hey I am sorry that that happend to yall but I am not an expert but if I was your freind I would take it back to the Sea Doo dealer and let them taks a look at it.When you said white smoke was coming out of it when yall was running it dosent sound to good.Any way good luck!