1996 yamaha wave venture jet ski

I have a 1996 Wave runner with 80 hp. It is a 3 seater and has forward/reverse lever. When it is in forward you can move lever into reverse position while running. If you try to move lever back to forward it will not go. Shut the engine off and it will go back and forth from forward to reverse easily. Man at the dealership said an adjustment is needed on the cable but I can not find where an adjustment can be made. Also, talked to another person in the parts department of dealership and he said it was probably the bushings. I have a diagram of the exhaust/ forward/reverse mechanism but can't see which bushings would need replacing. Is there someone out there that would be familiar with this problem? Thanks very much.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 yamaha wave venture jet ski

You're gonna get better responce in the PWC (Jetskis, Waverunners, etc.) section. Might try to post there instead....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To PWCs

joseppi

Recruit

I have a 1996 Wave runner with 80 hp. It is a 3 seater and has forward/reverse lever. When it is in forward you can move lever into reverse position while running. If you try to move lever back to forward it will not go. Shut the engine off and it will go back and forth from forward to reverse easily. Man at the dealership said an adjustment is needed on the cable but I can not find where an adjustment can be made. Also, talked to another person in the parts department of dealership and he said it was probably the bushings. I have a diagram of the exhaust/ forward/reverse mechanism but can't see which bushings would need replacing. Is there someone out there that would be familiar with this problem? Thanks very much.

I'M HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. DID YOU EVER GET AN ANSWER OR ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A FIX? This is my first post/reply, so I hope I'm doing this right. Anybody who sees this, could you respond as well, please. If you could, send also to my email -- beachmedley@yahoo.com I think there's an IM feature on here but not familiar with that yet. Thanks.

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well guys, I got 3 Ventures and they all do the same thing so I figure it's supposed to be like that. I can move it with the engine running, but it is VERY hard, so I just shut it off and hit reverse real quick and start it back up. Seems like you should be able to shift on the fly though, too bad the riding season is over, or I would look into an adjustment, if there is one. Got my skis all tucked in for the winter, but I will check this issue out on a warm weekend, I will see if I can find an adjustment so stay tuned...

joseppi

Recruit

Well guys, I got 3 Ventures and they all do the same thing so I figure it's supposed to be like that. I can move it with the engine running, but it is VERY hard, so I just shut it off and hit reverse real quick and start it back up. Seems like you should be able to shift on the fly though, too bad the riding season is over, or I would look into an adjustment, if there is one. Got my skis all tucked in for the winter, but I will check this issue out on a warm weekend, I will see if I can find an adjustment so stay tuned...

Thanks. Anxiously awaiting the results of this issue of shifting from forward to reverse but not being able to then shift back to forward unless you kill the engine, then shift to forward, then restart the engine. Something has to be wrong, as I've never seen any other ski (brand or model) do this. There just has to be some adjustment or part out of whack. Thanks.

lenny6

Recruit

I had the same problem and the cable itself was the issue. It was rusted and the housing was cracked and missing in many places. I replaced the cable and all is good. Pull the seats off and look up at the reverse lever and you'll see the cable, it's red. Follow it through the hulls and out the back and you'll see that all it does is open and close a cup shaped part that changes the direction of water flow, it's a very simple concept and with parts in good shape, it's a reliable system. Salt water is often the issue on cables. It may seem to be a big job but it's really not, take your time and think it through.

carlos m

Recruit

i haver the same jet ski and my reverse works while the engine is running but its a little stiff... my problem is that the stearing is not very sensitive, there is a little bit of slack before the jet ski responds to the turns, does the cable need to be replaced or could it be adjusted is this a common problem? is it an easy fix? i called the service station and they charge me 250 in labor alone.... can anyone give me some advise...