97 yamaha won't stay running

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok, I need some help with this issue. I have a 1097 yamaha wave venture 760. I got it 5 years ago and it has ran amazing from day 1. The last time I had them at the lake, it ran perfect. However for the last 2 years, it has sat on the trailer. So I am getting it ready to take out on the lake, but the machine won't stay running.

I took the carbs off, cleaned the jets, needles, cleaned all the ports, carb cleaner, compressed air, the whole works. I also cleaned the fuel pumps. the pop off pressure is 50 on the front carb, and 45 on the rear. Both cylinders compression is 125 psi. I installed a new fuel filter, drained the tanks and put new oil and fuel in each tank

Installed the carbs, and the machine would not start. I poured some pre-mix into the carbs, and the machine fired right up. When I blip the throttle, it responds without hesitation. After about 8 seconds, the engine dies whether I'm reving it or not. After the engine dies, I cannot start it again without dumping fuel in the carbs. It seems as though the engine is not getting fuel. However, the fuel filter is full of fuel, i have tried all 3 positions on the fuel peacock. When I blow air into the fuel filter line, I can hear fuel bubbling in the tank. So I took the carbs back off, and when I opened the fuel pumps again, fuel poured out. When I opened the carbs, fuel poured out, so I know fuel is making it to the carbs. I am at a loss as to why the machine is not getting fuel or what else to check

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You have the fuel filter going the right direction ? Very common for it to be the wrong way round. Easily done.