94 Yamaha VXR Pro won’t pick up gas

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just picked up this ski and it will turn on fine if I spray starting fluid in the carb.

I have drained all the old gas and put new gas in tank. Cleaned the carb, check to make sure all lines are clear (tested with air pressure), check that petcock was functioning fine and it won’t pick up the gas. Any suggestions to try?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If you’ve changed the filter or it’s not been ran since someone else did...it may be the wrong way round. It’s uni directional and often put on the wrong way.

but perhaps more likely is that these old Yamaha carbs have a particular trick to starting them.
If you pull the choke on and turn her over whilst pumping the throttle...eventually it should pull fuel through and give you a kick. Then push the choke off and crank again whilst pumping the throttle again. It should kick again and catch it on the throttle.

only other thing might be that the fuel pump rubber is worn or holed and not pulling it through. Some guys for a primer pump inline on the supply line to aid this. But you shouldn’t have to. Have a go at the above method and see.
obviously assuming you have the fuel valve on too. Haha.
I would definitely not put anymore starting fluid in it. You will run it lean and without lubrication. Even score the bores and crank. Defo to be avoided.

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay. Let me try that. So you mentioned the file filter being put backwards. Traditionally, it should run toward the carb, should it be facing (the arrow) back towards the petcock?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Arrow shows fuel flow direction, it faces the carb

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ah...but on most of these old Yamaha 2 strokes it’s very easy to get the flow of fuel direction wrong. They actually in fact come from the tank and up to the fuel valve switch over from normal to reserve, then come back down the other direction...then to the carbs. Can totally confuse you easily.

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Take the carb off again and I held the diaphragm up to the light and saw it is torn. I don’t remember seeing this when I cleaned it out. Ordered a carb kit and will rebuilt it tomorrow when it arrives. Pretty sure this should resolve my issue as everything else seems to be functioning right. Will keep everyone posted

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You know what else I just noticed when I was rebuilding this carb? The low speed screw is 1 3/4 out, the high speed was seated all the way in. What is an initial setting to start with for the high speed?

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay. I found online the specs to put the carb at. Still wont create a vacuum to pick up gas. I came across a similar thread that mentions the pulse, the reed valves. Would this make it not start? And if so, how can I check?

Hunter404

Cadet
Did you get this running yet?
If not things i would check out is vacuum line to fuel pump.. if Reeds are suspect you can just pull them out and do a visual look, They are just behind the carb boots. Getting harder to find reeds for them.