New-to-Us Waverunner Questions

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since I'm already here, I thought I'd try here first, before finding a Yamaha forum if I need to.

We just got a high-hour, 2015 V1 Sport that's been taken care of and is in good condition. Before season, I want to do all maintenance that might need to be done like it has never been done, just to start off at ground-zero, knowing we're up-to-date.

Tell me what I need to do.

Thanks

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Get an owners manual or maintenance guide from Yamaha or visit a dealer to get them.

https://www.yamahawaverunners.com/boating-resources/#owning-your-waverunner

I already have that downloaded, and it makes it obvious that Yamaha wants you to take it to a dealer for everything, so the manual doesn't say anything, except take it to the dealer.

OTOH, many people like to be DIY hands-on, for a lot of reasons. Thus, the Internet. People with experience helping people without.

There are Internet videos showing things like changing oil. But, even for something as simple as changing oil, there are questions. For instance, I've seen comments saying they were not able to get all the oil out, and when you look at the manual, under Capacities, it says:

Engine Oil Quantity with filter replacement: 2.33 US Quarts
Engine Oil Quantity without filter replacement: 2.11 US Quarts
Engine Oil Total Quantity: 4.55 US Quarts

So, what's up with that?

Anyone here with hands-on experience?

Thanks

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I already have that downloaded, and it makes it obvious that Yamaha wants you to take it to a dealer for everything, so the manual doesn't say anything, except take it to the dealer.

OTOH, many people like to be DIY hands-on, for a lot of reasons. Thus, the Internet. People with experience helping people without.

There are Internet videos showing things like changing oil. But, even for something as simple as changing oil, there are questions. For instance, I've seen comments saying they were not able to get all the oil out, and when you look at the manual, under Capacities, it says:

Engine Oil Quantity with filter replacement: 2.33 US Quarts
Engine Oil Quantity without filter replacement: 2.11 US Quarts
Engine Oil Total Quantity: 4.55 US Quarts

So, what's up with that?

Anyone here with hands-on experience?

Thanks

Hi

this is because the ski you have a manual for, has an oil collection tank. You can only get about 2 litres out it at a time from that tank. It’s not like a conventional sump, so to speak. To even get oil to show in the tank (and on the dip stick), it needs to be started and ran a while.

there is another way around it that gets all the oil out...but it isn’t in the manual and I’d be silly to advise against that.

But...all that said...there is a good chance you have the wrong manual. Does your ski not have the wee 3 cylinder TR1 engine ? I think you have downloaded the one for the older MR1 engine. Could be wrong. Worth checking anyway.

Last edited:

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
The cover of the manual says: 2015 WaveRunner, V1, V1 Sport

Under the Model Name, it says: VX1100D-P/V1 Sport, VX1100E-P/V1

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, you're right about there being no crankcase, and you only replace the amount of oil you take out:

. . . for the engine is something around 4.5 quarts, but since the engine uses a dry sump system (no oil pan), you can only remove around 2.5 quarts per oil change. Just like when checking the oil you want to get the engine hot before doing the change, or you will not be able to get very much oil out of the oil tank. Because you are only doing a partial removal of the old oil, most guys recommend doing more frequent oil changes on these engines. What you want to do is to get the oil level right by riding it on the water and getting it good and hot and checking it there. Then once you have the level perfect (I recommend 1/2 way between the marks on the stick) then when you do the oil change you only put back the exact amount you take out (plus a couple of extra ounces if you change the filter).

I can hear my wife saying, "A guy must have designed that."

:rolleyes:​​​​​​​

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The cover of the manual says: 2015 WaveRunner, V1, V1 Sport

Under the Model Name, it says: VX1100D-P/V1 Sport, VX1100E-P/V1

I have a 2015 FX Cruiser HO, so the book catalog numbers are likely different than what you have.

The "Owner's Manual" I got with the 'ski when new is likely what you have, if all you did was download it. Mine says what's required as well, but also often says "take it to a dealer".

What you need is a "Service Manual". I bought mine directly from Yamaha, and it cost $93. It was not a free download. It also tells you what to do, but had step by step directions with photos and diagrams.

The link to buy one is the same as in Post #2.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks.

I've seen service manuals available in my web-searches.

I've asked our local dealer, which is also the dealer that sold the ski new, to quote $$$ for doing all that needs to be done. They're gonna get back to me.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
For the "100 hour service" my manual lists 25 different things to do. A couple replace (like spark plugs and oil), but most are check, adjust, lubricate.

At $110 / hour labor rate, be prepared for sticker shock.

If you decide to do it yourself, you'll need the book, tools (oil change pump, long reach spark plug socket wrench, grease gun with long hose and 90 deg adapter), oil and filter, grease tube, etc. So figure maybe $300, just off the top of my head. Of course, the tools and book are a one time expense.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
My dealer says $95/hour labor, and oil change is 1 hour. He needed the HIN to do a full quote.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That's a digital download, thus the low price. I had one like that for my previous 'ski, but decided this time I wanted the full 500 page hard copy. Just a matter of personal preference.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's a digital download, thus the low price. I had one like that for my previous 'ski, but decided this time I wanted the full 500 page hard copy. Just a matter of personal preference.

I still have what used to be called a computer cabinet, or armoire, or something like that, full of hard copy manuals for everything we owned . . . 25 years ago.

I have more space on my hard drive than in that cabinet.

;)

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Think you maybe need to make sure you have right manual. I’m not sure there is a “V1” model. Usually a VX. After a certain year they changed engines from a 4 cylinder derated MR1 engine, to a 3 cylinder TR1 engine. The former certainly has a collection tank. The latter has a dip stick going into the side area of engine. Not sure to a sump or otherwise. Worth a check.
just that the oil capacity you quote seems to match exactly to that of the MR1 engine. Perhaps they still used that still in 2015, but not sure they did.
how many cylinders does it have ?
the exception is if you have the more powerful VXHO ski ? That has a 1.8l 4 cylinder and has a collection tank certainly.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I still have what used to be called a computer cabinet, or armoire, or something like that, full of hard copy manuals for everything we owned . . . 25 years ago.

I have more space on my hard drive than in that cabinet.

;)

Oh, I know where you're coming from. My "armoire" has hard copies of Ole Evinrude's Model A from 1909.....LOL.

Its just that I like to have the book with me out in the splashrail while I'm doin the greasin.

Again just my preference. At my age I don't remember the steps so much any more.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Its just that I like to have the book with me out in the splashrail while I'm doin the greasin.

By the same token, I do DIY projects with a youtube video by my side. Almost every project has some seemingly-insignificant step that it's nice to watch someone doing it. The last one was the solenoid on our refrigerator ice door flap.

I have been taking care of golf carts and an ice maker at work via the Internet for a lot of years. Whenever there's an issue, the GM asks me to google it.

Back to the OP, my dealer has said he will do an oil change and plugs for $200. I asked to throw in lube where it needs it, and it looks like we have a deal.

We have to re-cover the seat, too, and it looks like that will be DIY, since there are videos of that.

Last edited:

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ok. So I know what the deal is now. The V1 is what they called the older VX ski when they put the TR1 3 cylinder in it. It’s a VX with a TR1.
So you need the manual for the TR1 engine. I’ve personally never seen one up close or worked on one. But they look as if the collection tank is either hidden or non existent?

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok. So I know what the deal is now. The V1 is what they called the older VX ski when they put the TR1 3 cylinder in it. It’s a VX with a TR1.
So you need the manual for the TR1 engine. I’ve personally never seen one up close or worked on one. But they look as if the collection tank is either hidden or non existent?

Yup, pretty close. The V1 Sport was introduced in 2015 to pretty-much replace the VX Sport:

Basically the v1 is the 2014 vx with the tr1 engine.

https://www.personalwatercraft.com/m...view-1299.html

https://www.boatingmag.com/yamaha-tr-1-high-output/

Here's some notes for the 2016 redesign of the TR1:

The oil tank has also been integrated . . .With the reduction in size, the TR-1 promises to be easier to work on within the confines of a PWC engine compartment. Smart design takes it one step further. Oil is removed via a dedicated extraction port topside. The oil filter has been relocated topside as well for easier access but also to reduce corrosion.

​​​​​​​I missed that by one year!

Last edited: