1998 Yamaha Waverunner wiring question - lockout code

Cptkid570

Ensign
1998 Yamaha Waverunner XL 1200. The instrument panel does not work at all. The screen is broken and it is completely useless. I've been having starting issues with the ski whereas nothing happens when you hit the start button. Start button is fine, starter is fine, starter solenoid is fine... I'm thinking that possibly the lockout code is preventing it from starting. So, I need to figure out how to disable it. In looking at the wires that go to the start and stop button on the handlebars, it seems like it works like this (and correct me if I'm wrong)... There is a brown wire and a red wire that comes out of the start/stop switch on the handle bar, goes into the instrument panel, and then goes back to the wire panel. If i were to splice the red wire and brown wires together, so that they bypass the instrument panel, will that also bypass the lockout that the instrument panel does? If it doesn't, does anyone know how to bypass the lockout of the instrument panel?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
It is my understanding that the security code is programmed in the ECU and not the dash. I would start browsing for used displays as you will need to be able to see what you are doing to reset the code, which is possible. The steps are as follows:

(1) Look under the front hood and find the single wire with a blue connector coming from the instrument panel wiring harness.
(2) Disconnect the wire. The WARNING light should be on, and the ignition will be disabled.
(3) Hold MODE down until you see the current code appear.
(4) Set a four digit code with the A, B, and C buttons. You should hear a long beap after the code is changed.
(5) Reconnect the single wire with the blue connector.
(6) You can now hold down MODE for several seconds with the lanyard in, engine off and switch between START and LOCK modes by typing your code.

If you can find a video online of someone resetting the code, you may be able to copy what they do and reset the code without seeing what you are doing on the display, but it will probably take some guessing and playing around.

Plan on having to enter your code any time the battery gets low or you disconnect.

Cptkid570

Ensign
So if the lockout section of the wiring is in the ECU and not the gauges, then what wire goes from that to the ignition system to shut it off? I'm thinking that it is controlled int he gauges and can be circumvented