1996 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100 display issue

kevlray

Recruit
So the display on the wave venture is not working. I have a repair manual and I have confirmed that the display is actually functioning (hook a battery to the leads (+ on red and green, - on black). I am get voltage to the display (checked with test lamp). When I crank, I get pulsating test lamp result). Not sure what else to check. I suppose I could start the PWC and check voltage values (Side note, I had lost power to everything. Tore down to the CDI, found out I had a bad main fuse, looked good). According to the wiring diagram, I do not see any other fuses.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
So the display on the wave venture is not working. I have a repair manual and I have confirmed that the display is actually functioning (hook a battery to the leads (+ on red and green, - on black). I am get voltage to the display (checked with test lamp). When I crank, I get pulsating test lamp result). Not sure what else to check. I suppose I could start the PWC and check voltage values (Side note, I had lost power to everything. Tore down to the CDI, found out I had a bad main fuse, looked good). According to the wiring diagram, I do not see any other fuses.

Have you checked all the fuses in the black box ?

kevlray

Recruit
Was not sure that there was a fuse in the black box (CDI). Nothing on the wiring diagram about it. I see a lot of connectors, but did not see anything that looked like a fuse. Figured it was okay since I had voltage to the display.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a 24 year old piece of electronics that was intended to only live 15 years.

it may have simply died.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It’s a different machine an a little older than my similar GP800r but that had fuses in the black box behind a twist screw cap.
Anyway. Perhaps more importantly I’ve just read that if you have one of the old dash that has a code in it. If your battery or electric system has been troubled previously sometimes the gauges don’t work at all until you hold in the mode button for 15 secs after starting. It apparently re boots it. Worth a try. Sorry can’t help more.